• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Operating System is Missing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PeterPwned

Hi,

I installed Gigabyte EasyTune6 utility just now to get a quick easy overclock of my CPU. What an idiotic thing to do. After changing the settings in the program to the i7 975 preset I was informed that should the system fail to boot properly I can simply load defaults in the bios to undo the changes. Then I was prompted to restart the system now. I clicked okay.

The system starts but stops at "verifying DMI pool data.. update success" moments later a "missing operating system" message pops up.

Resetting CMOS, loading BIOS defaults did not work. I then tried repairing using the windows disk (Win7 64), but it does not even recognize I have windows on there. Running check disk only gives me a "The type of the file system is RAW" and I cannot continue.

How do I get out of this mess or better can I get out of this mess? Otherwise how can I recover my important data - the OS is on the first of two partitions of a raid 0 stripe with two 1 TB caviar black drives. Can I just plug in an empty HDD and install windows on that to try and access the raid 0 array?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Last edited:
The first thing to check is whether or not your SATA mode is set for RAID in the BIOS (assuming you're not using a RAID card of some sort). If not, that would definitely cause it appear unrecognized.

+1 ^^. Sata mode was set to IDE/AHCI after the CMOS reset. Change it back and all should be well, saying running the repair didnt bork anything else (which it should not have).

Oh my god, that is simple and highly embarassing. Yes, it works! But hey blaming stuff on Gigabyte is also fun ^^

I still think I'm going to buy a backup HDD, no worries are always better ;)

Thanks!

Back