• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oportunity! need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
folding

To cover your bases, you could make 2 scheduled tasks, one which operates with the gromacs flags, and one without. The P4's would fold more slowly but at about the same rate overall, but server outages would be unlikely to affect them.

Ok guys here we go again.
How do you see if port 8080 is open?
(just read thread about servers and slow assignment of work so this could be whats up)
My friend has a computer at the location of the 18 computers which is one of the stand-alones. He was going to go ahead and put the client on that box, problem is that it will not fetch work. He says they know it’s behind a firewall but does not know what it is. This person knows very little about computers and relies on M$ for support when needed. He is not very patient on the phone for this, as they are very busy. It is running win98. So what do I do here, I’m not to knowledgeable when it comes to a firewall and networking stuff. (I have a linksys router myself...easy) I need it to be as simple as possible, can we just open the proper port? And what of the networked ones? They are connected to an NT server and I’m sure there will be firewall issues there too. I don’t want something like this to stop us cold (MUST FOLD). He does not have an administrator and just goes through the motions with M$ support when he has problems. I will have access to the server when I get there. He is having problems with the firewall in another area also. If I can find out what to do I might get him to put the clients on himself if I can get a hole in the firewalls. Help if you can, as always open to all input and thanks.

Here's what I would do if I were you Hawk. But a fat book on TCP/IP and start reading it.. Delve into your router's documentation and figure out how to do everything possible with it.. just get a better feel for networking so when your there you can get by snags without having to panic. Then your gonna need some technical information about the setup. What firewall is it using? How is it all setup? I'm sure that info is lying around there somewhere, somebody just needs to find it.

Thanks. I got A pile of big ole fat books on networking at home. I am sure the info on TCP/IP I need is in there. I'm not a total noob on networking stuff. I've had some basic stuff in a cisco class and read a couple of basic MSCE books- topology, componets bandwidth and ip addressing mostly. The only hands on I have is with my little 4 node home network, though it runs pretty good (peer to peer). I'll see if the guy has some router documentation he can send.
Thanks.
HAWK

Back