• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opti 165 + dice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eldonko

Revolutionary Mule
I was bored today so I thought I would go grab a bit of dice and test this Opti 165 CCBWE 0550 UPMW out. It runs fine under single stage so I was hoping it would be cold bug free for dice too...

Unfortunately the chip has cold bug under dice (what chip doesnt these days?) but it wasnt too bad and I was able to work around it a bit. Anything over 2750Mhz I had to run prime or something in the background or I got insta freeze. Good part about dual core is you can prime at prio 1 without it affecting PI times too much.

I lapped the tube but since I couldnt find fine enough sandpaper it is still not mirror smooth. Much better than what it was though.

p1.JPG

I could run a 32M @ 3200Mhz easily but above that prime would fail because of the heat and then cause the system to freeze because of cold bug. After some experimentation I think I found a solution but I didnt figure it out until all the dice was gone lol. Next time I think I can get some more Mhz, prob closer to 3300 for 32M. Will update thread next time I get bored. :cool:

165dice-3.JPG

I was able to get cpu-z validaion @ 3433Mhz, prob could have gotten higher if I wasnt trying for top speed at the end of my dice supply. I was quite impressed on the DFI Expert's ability to run high HTT without a hiccup. Very few boards can handle that and it is invaluable for CPUs with max 9x. Also trying to find max CPU speed is less than ideal when you have to run programs in the background to avoid insta-freeze :bang head

165dice-5.JPG

Excellent work! Why not use CPUBurn or similar to keep the CPU loaded without worrying about errors?

What tube is that? Looks like a three-incher.

Gautam said:
Excellent work! Why not use CPUBurn or similar to keep the CPU loaded without worrying about errors?

What tube is that? Looks like a three-incher.
Yeah I just clued in to use CPUBurn towards the end of my dice supply so I didnt get far with it. I was manually setting the prio to low but it still gives more heat than I want. I need a program that I could tweek the cpu load, that would be perfect to battle cold bug. Too bad nothing like that exists lol.

The tube is an old school mousepot. Made by MM a few years ago. :) Its 2 inch, just looks bigger with a days worth of ice built up heh. Here's a better pic.

dice-16.JPG

Back