• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

optimal airflow fan placement (varying fan models)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pqwoerituytruei

I am trying to decide where to place which fan and rather to connect it to the motherboard or the fan controller
the case is a fractal R4 windowed case supports 5 140/120mm fans and my CPU cooler supports 2 120mm fans
2 top, 1 rear, 2 front, 1 bottom
my motherboard has 3 pwm fan ports (rear 4pin, front 3pin, and cpu 4pin)
i am trying to avoid buying more fans, this is what i have to work with (1st 4 fans on in one link):
  1. 2 Fractal R2 140mm fans
  2. 1 Rosewill RFX-120
  3. 1 cooler master blue sickle flow
  4. 1 cooler master black sickle flow
  5. 1 Stock cooler master hyper 212 evo fan
    would like a second one but I don't want to pay $17.65 for it (stupid shipping is 10.66)
  6. 1 4/3 pin fan splitter

the fan controller (supports 3 fans) is part of the case, my splitter can't be used with it as the plugs are 3 pin plugs
i intend to put a power switch on the fan controller to turn the extra fans off when idle/media playback

apparently if you use the splitter with a 4 and 3 pin fan the 3 pin fan may as well be on a molex connector

Last edited:
Front/sides = intake
Top/rear = exhaust

As far as the more CFM in/out, that debate does not have an answer, some swear by more intake (not me!) others swear by more exhaust (me!).

You're probably talking about 1-2 degrees difference when choosing which fans to put where. As long as they're roughly of the same specs, I would see which configuration sounds best (silence is golden).

Back