• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ordered the Caps for my KD7 RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Can't wait to see how it does...I never messed with Athlons b4, so this will be a new experience for me. I have some cheapo 266 ddr, so that will need addressing, and I don't know if the mem can be run asynchronous with the FSB.
Anyway, I have a 2500+ on it and a decent h.s.
Funny thing is I don't even know what the default speed of the 2500+ is :screwy:

Now that they are no longer in demand, I might be able to find some BH5 goodness for cheap.

So, My question is, are there any caveats that I should know of about this board before I start putting it together after I re-cap it?
My AMD experience is nil so any suggestions, fond memories or caveats you post would be most appreciated.
Thanks in Advance,
Doc

Now I'm off to the AMD cpu section to see what this old2500+ should be able to do.

Don't know about that board in particular but you should look for some way to control the PCI clock. If it's tied to the FSB you may have some problems. If there's a way to unlock it from the FSB or if it has it's own multiplier (a few do) then you're good ...

Don't know about that board in particular but you should look for some way to control the PCI clock.

Unfortunately, there's no PCI lock on that board, and the maximum PCI divider is 1/5. So 400FSB is probably out. The KT400 also had issues with DDR400, the memory divider just didn't work well (usually, not at all), so you're gonna want to run your memory synchronously at 333. Fancy RAM like BH5 would probably be a waste. The chipset is pretty picky about RAM, too... IIRC the practical limit is two sticks when running at 333 speed.

I'd say a standard 2500+ isn't the best match for that board, especially if it's one of the later 'hard locked' ones. The best approach for that board would be to use an unlocked chip and focus on clocking via multiplier. But XP-M's are cheap anymore, so it shouldn't be hard to source one.

This really blows...I have waited for a couple of weeks only to find out that I never completed the order of my caps.
So I pulled the trigger and will have to wait another two weeks....bummer

Well, I guess I will have the time to play with one of my slot one rigs while I'm waiting.
I guess I'm an optimist....if I wasn't, I would be really sad right now.

Back