• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OS installation freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ooh-hey

Hey guys,

I bought a secondhand gaming rig, and I've been trying to reformat it but it keeps freezing on me. I have a Windows 10 ISO burned to a dvd and every time I run it, it would freeze in the "Product Key" key window. The "X" , "Skip" and "Next" button are completely frozen. I then thought it was an ISO file, so I booted a Windows 7 ISO from a USB and that one also freezes on me when the first window of Windows 7 Installation comes up.

I dont know what is going on with this rig, my first time experiencing something like this. In the Bios, I have secure boot disabled, hard drive on AHCI as well. I've tried switching the SSD and HD around to having only one of them running and it would still freeze on me.

Here are the specs of the PC

Processor: i7 4770
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-HD3
Ram: 16gb
Cooling System: Asetek 510lc
3 corsair fans
Power: OcZ 600W power unit
Storage: Sandisk U110 SSD
1TB WD HDD

The computer originally came with a GTX 780 but I took that off and put it on my other gaming rig. BTW, the previous owner did not tell me his password to his login that's why I want to reformat the computer, plus I want to start with a fresh clean install.

Any help would be appreciated

Almost always.... the problem is the RAM. Get yourself memtest86+ and run it on the new machine. My guess is that it will find error. memtest86+ is a free program. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot from the CD. It will run on its own.

Alternately, remove half of the RAM and see if the problem goes away. If not pull the other half while installing the first half. If it works, you will know that your bad stick is within which half of your RAM.

:welcome:

Almost always.... the problem is the RAM. Get yourself memtest86+ and run it on the new machine. My guess is that it will find error. memtest86+ is a free program. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot from the CD. It will run on its own.

Alternately, remove half of the RAM and see if the problem goes away. If not pull the other half while installing the first half. If it works, you will know that your bad stick is within which half of your RAM.

:welcome:

^ Thanks for your prompt reply. The computer originally came with 2 sticks of 8gb ram. I took one stick off and the GPU and put it on my other (daily)computer , and started the reformat yesterday and thats when I ran into this problem. Then this morning, I put back the 8gb ram stick (16gb in total now) and it is still giving me the same problem. But when I go home from work today, I'll try take off the other stick that I didnt take off and see what goes on from there.

I've read elsewhere that people are saying to disable the UEFI. I cant seem to find that option in the bios.

also make sure that there is no overclock on it, boot into bios and tap the f5 key and this should restore it to default.

Thanks for the help guys, I did the following, such as running the memtest86+ test, resetting the bios, reformatted it like 10 times (even to ubuntu) and many more things and none of the following worked. It still froze!

but I did find a fix, which was the last thing on my mind, I simply just replaced the mouse (this was on my test station) and it worked.

I was in relief at the same time and yet found this reason to be stupid. But glad it went well. Thanks for the help again.

This is a pretty cool forum

Thank you for the follow-up. I would never have thought to look at the mouse. Very odd to me. I'm happy to hear that you are up and running.

Back