• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of curiosity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wow, my vantec hdd coolers, made my hdds sooo much cooler... before, they were pretty hot, after they were only warm to the touch.

I have two Quantum/Maxtor 40 gig 7200rpm drives that get very warm and two Western Digital SE 80 gig 7200rpm drives that barely feel warm to the touch. I don't think active drive cooling is necessary if you have good case ventilation. Of course running a 4 or 5 disk array is a different story.

illig said:

so you killed a bunch of your hard drives by running them in your oven like case and you're saying that HD cooling is BS?:rolleyes:

excuse my lack of detail...
my WD acctually ran hotter then both my IBM HD
both deathstars 60xgp ran quieter, faster, and not as hot then the WD (they are also about 6month newer then my WD)
I didn't see the point of cooling them or my WD.

AND my case is not an oven, its acctually quite cool.
when i did a smoke test, airflow hits all my hard drives as well.
i'm just trying to prove that overheating is NOT the #1 reason for hard driver failer. IBM deathstars just suck, its that simple, and i just can't watch people waste there money on HD cooling, its almost as pointless as ramsinks for low frequency ram and power down protecters.

The deathstars did suck for reliability and it may not have been becuase of heat, I give you that, but I still think that people who dont have a fan blowing on there drive still should, my friends WD 80GB SE ran hot to the touch, and his pc crashed sometimes, so he put in a fan to blow on it, guess what, problem solved.

It's not only about longevity of the HDD's. If a component/s gets hot, and it's in your case, that only adds to the ambient temperature inside the case. You keep that same component/s cool, you get lower case temps. I use them to keep the controller chip (big square chip on the under side) of the HDD cool. I don't like anything in my system getting that warm.

I just have a simple 80mm antec case fan blowing air across mine. There was a noticable difference.

Back