• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over clocking AMD A8 6600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

10ofclubs

Hi guys. I just got a new gaming pc and I'm wanting to get a little bit more power out of it. I know what overclocking is but I have never done it before and I'm a novice. Any help on how I could go about overclocking my AMD A8 6600k would be much appreciated, thanks

Just increase the core speed multiplier in 1X increments and test for stability and temps. When you can't pass the stress test then add a little core voltage and retest.

AMD Overdrive is a great tool for making adjustments to those settings. It also has a built in stress tester and temp monitor. I believe the temp monitor reports how much room you have to hit "TJ Max" which is the temp that triggers thermal throttling or thermal shutdown to protect the CPU.

Once you get a tentative overclock "roughed in" then stress test with something more vigorous like 2 hr. of Prime95 while using AMDOD to monitor package temps. AMDOD is the only tool I know of that correctly reports the AMD APU core temps.

Once your arrive at a stable overclock with the tuning software then move those voltage and multiplier values into bios for permanent application. Once that is done, make sure you disable AMDOD such that it is not loading overclocking values on top of the bios.

Back