• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclcok intel e6420

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbie333

Registered
hi guys,
I have recently bought a new system with the following specificiations:
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 R3.3,Intel P965, ATX, PCI-Ex
Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Box 4096Kb, LGA775, 64bit
Zalman CNPS9700 NT Sockel 775/754/939/940/AM2
2048MB-Kit Mushkin HP2-6400, CL4
XFX GeForce 8800GTX 768MB DDR3 XXX, PCI-Express
Aerocool Aeroengine Jr.Schwarz ohne Netzteil
600 Watt Power supply

I cannot get past the 2.8 ghz threshold. DOes anyone know how i should set my ram timings and the different kind of voltages?

i always get a black screen.. my settings are ddr3 overvoltage at 0,2, mch overvoltage at 0,2, cpu voltage at 1,5 volt, ddr 2 timings at 4-5-4-11. system memory multiplier is set at 2.

i cannot pass the 350 fsb threshold, whenever i try to reboot, it gives me a black screen and then goes back to 266 fsb.

can someone help!!!

newbie333 said:
i always get a black screen.. my settings are ddr3 overvoltage at 0,2, mch overvoltage at 0,2, cpu voltage at 1,5 volt, ddr 2 timings at 4-5-4-11. system memory multiplier is set at 2.

i cannot pass the 350 fsb threshold, whenever i try to reboot, it gives me a black screen and then goes back to 266 fsb.

can someone help!!!

Relax the ram timings, do 5-5-5-18 and see if that helps. What are the stock timings/volts on your ram?
Dan

BobcatDan said:
Relax the ram timings, do 5-5-5-18 and see if that helps. What are the stock timings/volts on your ram?
Dan

mushkin CL 4 (4-5-4-11), voltage is 2,1 to 2,2. this is on the package of my ram.

i read that gigabyte d3 only provides 1,8. hence i put the ddr ram to +0,4,
nevertheless, i cannot get over 3ghz. my computer gives me a black screen when i do this.

system memory multiplier is set at 2.

Are you running the RAM at 2:1?

Try running it at 1:1.

Relax timings as mentioned above...5-5-5-18.

You may need to bump up the voltage on your RAM a little.

ddr3 overvoltage at 0,2

DDR3?

Have you tried going straight to 400? You may be suffering from the strap issue.

jason4207 said:
Are you running the RAM at 2:1?

Try running it at 1:1.

Relax timings as mentioned above...5-5-5-18.

You may need to bump up the voltage on your RAM a little.

DDR3?

Have you tried going straight to 400? You may be suffering from the strap issue.
no i have a ddr2,
what do you mean by strap issue? do you think i can go over 1,5 volt??

Yea there is a fsb hole on p965 between 360-499 ish ( i think ) so try booting @ 8x401 and see if that works

hi,
i have almost the same settings as you do. You have Crucial Ballistix 6400 @ 478 1:1 2T 4-4-4-12 2.1v].

how do i keep my memory frequency low? my memory frequency jumped up to 700 when i increased my fsb. I put memory multiplier on 2 but that doesnt work. any ideas??? I just saw in your profile that you have 478. how did you manage to do that?

newbie333 said:
i mean 370, how can i increase it? whenever i do it, it crashes :(

I was referring to Console's post.

Like someone said, try setting the memory multiplier to 1:1 and leave the timings Auto or stock for now. Your ram should have no problem whatsoever running at these speeds. Also make sure you are giving the RAM the correct voltage specified in the box.

Also try jumping around the FSB range sometime boards don't like running at some FSBs like Console mentioned. Try an FSB of 401 or higher and see if it works.

ok let me post my bios settings:
intel core duo 6420, gigabyte 965 P DS3 motherboard

I click on MB intelligent tweaker (MIT) and i get the following:
Robust Graphics Booster: Auto
CPU CLOCK ratio: 8x
Cpu Host Clock control: enabled
CPU host frequency (Mhz): 370 (IF I go over 375 then it crashes )
PCI EXPRESS FREQUENCY: 100
CIA2: disabled
System memory multiplier (SPD): (2.00)
Memory frequency (Mhz): 800 740
High Speed DRAM DLL setting: option 1
DRAM timing selectable (SPD): Manual
CAS Latency time 5
DRAM RAS to CAS delay: 5
Dram ras precharge:5
Precharge delay (tras): 18
act to act delay (trrd): (3)auto
rank write to read delay: (3)auto
write to precharge delay: (6) auto
Refres to ACT delay: (42) 0
read to precharge delay: (3) auto
memory performance enhance: normal
system voltage control: manual
ddr2 over voltage control: +0,4V ( my rams need 2.2-2.1 and i read that gigabyte only gives off 1,8V)
PCI over voltage control : +0,1V
FSB overvoltage control : +0,1V
MCH overvoltage control +0,1V
CPU voltage control +1,5V
normal cpu vcore: (1,35V)

can someone check this and tell me what i should change in order to get an fsb of at least 380.

newbie333 said:
it does not have 1. it starts from auto directly to 2

Try set it to auto when in doubt.

Also could you most some screenshot of CPUZ for your memory settings? It would help understand better what your system is running like.

newbie333 said:
This shows your memory multiplier should be fine ..... Is this after setting it the memory multiplier to Auto?

If you had it at 1:1 before then I really cannot explain what could be wrong. Try bumping the FSB higher to something like 401 and see if it works sometimes there are FSB holes.

Last edited:
newbie333 said:
ok let me post my bios settings:
intel core duo 6420, gigabyte 965 P DS3 motherboard

I click on MB intelligent tweaker (MIT) and i get the following:
Robust Graphics Booster: Auto
CPU CLOCK ratio: 8x
Cpu Host Clock control: enabled
CPU host frequency (Mhz): 370 (IF I go over 375 then it crashes )
PCI EXPRESS FREQUENCY: 100
CIA2: disabled
System memory multiplier (SPD): (2.00)
Memory frequency (Mhz): 800 740
High Speed DRAM DLL setting: option 1
DRAM timing selectable (SPD): Manual
CAS Latency time 5
DRAM RAS to CAS delay: 5
Dram ras precharge:5
Precharge delay (tras): 18
act to act delay (trrd): (3)auto
rank write to read delay: (3)auto
write to precharge delay: (6) auto
Refres to ACT delay: (42) 0
read to precharge delay: (3) auto
memory performance enhance: normal
system voltage control: manual
ddr2 over voltage control: +0,4V ( my rams need 2.2-2.1 and i read that gigabyte only gives off 1,8V)
PCI over voltage control : +0,1V
FSB overvoltage control : +0,1V
MCH overvoltage control +0,1V
CPU voltage control +1,5V
normal cpu vcore: (1,35V)

can someone check this and tell me what i should change in order to get an fsb of at least 380.
Hey Bro, leave all settings as you have them and set your cpu frequency to 400 or 401 and see if it boots. If it shuts off and restarts just let it go for a few minutes and see if it boots, sometimes the board will take longer than you think it should to post. Your memory is rated for 800mhz, in DDR terms that's 400x2.:beer:

Back