• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclcok intel e6420

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hi,
i set the fsb to 401 and 400 and then restarted, however, it did not boot properly and the fsb was set back to 266mhz automatically. i dunno why this is so.

maybe i cannot go over 380 fsb because i have a limited power supply. my power supply is 600 watt and my graphic card is a geforce 8800 superclocked and on the package of the graphic card, it says 625 watt are recommanded. do you guys think that this is the reason????

newbie333 said:
maybe i cannot go over 380 fsb because i have a limited power supply. my power supply is 600 watt and my graphic card is a geforce 8800 superclocked and on the package of the graphic card, it says 625 watt are recommanded. do you guys think that this is the reason????

If it's a good quality power supply then that is plenty. Of course anything can and will go bad.

Check your RAM with memtest and see if you have a bad stick.

You could also try setting your SPD to Auto. You aren't even running your RAM at stock speeds so something is wrong.

What kind of PSU do you have?

hi guys,
if i put the multiplier on 3 then i get a higher memory frequency which will worsen the problem. my power supply is ATX-Netzt.BE Quiet! Straight Power 600 Watt / BQT E5 which is a very good one. I have a superclocked geforece 8800 which is superclocked to 630 by the producer and the graphic card consumes a lot of watt. On the package of the graphic card it says that 625 watt are recommanded and 450 is minimum.

do you guys recommend that i have to replace my graphic card by an older type and then try the overclocking again?

I have tried auto settings, multiplier 2 setting, 4-4-4-12, 5-5-5-18 and so on. i have tried almost everything but my computer does not boot when the fsb goes over 375.

I have a zalman 9700 cnps cooler and i should be able to get at least 3,2 ghz with an intel core duo. I am running mem test now and so far i dont have any problems.

I think the problem is that my power supply has only 600 watt and my graphic card (8800 overclocked to 630mhz by the company) consumes a lot of electricity and by increasing the fsb, the power supply cannot cope with the additional power requirement. i dont know but this is just my suggestion.

Does the power supply load increase by just increasing the FSB without altering the voltage????

do you guys think i should buy a 700 watt power supply or is that a waste of money because i am short of money.

Last edited:
I don't think the PSU is to blame, but you could always try downclocking it to prove it one way or the other.

Of course I'm not familiar w/ that PSU, so I don't know how good it really is. Go check in the PSU forum to see if it is up to snuff.

jason4207 said:
I don't think the PSU is to blame, but you could always try downclocking it to prove it one way or the other.

Of course I'm not familiar w/ that PSU, so I don't know how good it really is. Go check in the PSU forum to see if it is up to snuff.

how do i downclock it???:confused:

Could be the CPU

I've gotten a couple of bad o/c 6420's. Chips were good - just wouldn't o/c worth anything. One was L707A643 (4/11/97) and the other was L644G465 (4/3/07). While I'm certainly no o/c expert, regardless of what I tried, neither one would hit more than 360 x 8. I don't believe it was the p/s, ram or mb as they all went easily 400 x 8 on stock volts with a different cpu.

mutley said:
I've gotten a couple of bad o/c 6420's. Chips were good - just wouldn't o/c worth anything. One was L707A643 (4/11/97) and the other was L644G465 (4/3/07). While I'm certainly no o/c expert, regardless of what I tried, neither one would hit more than 360 x 8. I don't believe it was the p/s, ram or mb as they all went easily 400 x 8 on stock volts with a different cpu.

yea, got the same problem...

Back