• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock asus prime z390-a and i9 9900k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

symanleedsuk

I am completely new to overclocking and would like to overclock my new pc. I have enabled xmp 2 for the memory I have. But the auto overclock for the pc is crashing it after several hours. So I am running on defaults with the xmp 2 enabled for the 3200mhz memory. Any help would be appreciated. Living in Leeds UK

We need more information in order to guide you.

What are you cooling the CPU with?

What is the make model and wattage of the PSU?

What is the make and model and amount of the RAM?

What is the make and model of the Video card?

What is the make and model of your case?

The problem you describe can often be attributed to overheating and auto overclocking tends to use more voltage than necessary, this driving temps up.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have the following hardware. I did try overclocking on auto but it crashed randomly

750W Corsair RM750i Series Fully Modular PSU, 80PLUS Gold Certified, 135mm Fan, ATX

Corsair Hydro Series H100x, 240mm All-In-One Hydro CPU Cooler, 2x 120mm SP120 PWM Fan, White LED Pump, for Intel/AMD

ASUS PRIME Z390-A, Intel Z390, S 1151, DDR4, SATA3, Dual M.2, 2-Way SLi/3-Way CrossFire, GbE, USB 3.1 Gen2 A+C, ATX

2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, M.2 (2280) PCIe 3.0 (x4), NVMe SSD, MLC V-NAND, 3500MB/s Read, 3300MB/s Write, 620k/560k IOPS

MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING X TRIO 8GB GDDR6 Ray-Tracing Graphics Card, 3072 Core, 1650MHz GPU, 1845MHz Boost

4TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM004, 3.5" HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 5400rpm, 256MB Cache, OEM

32GB (2x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO Black, PC4-25600 (3200), Non-ECC Unbuff, CAS 16-18-18-36, RGB LED, 1.35V

Intel Core i9 9900K, S 1151, Coffee Lake Refresh, 8 Core, 16 Thread, 3.6GHz, 5.0GHz Turbo, 16MB, 1200MHz GPU, 95W, Box

Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Pearl Full Tower Case, 3x Silent Series R2 Fans, USB 3.0, ATX/mATX/mITX/E-ATX/XL-ATX

Is the system stable at stock frequencies and voltages?

Have you checked CPU temps under load. Please try this with frequencies and voltages at stock default: Download and install a stress testing program called OCCT. Run it for one hour. Before closing the program window, take note of the maximum CPU temp reached and the maximum MOS temp reached. Report back with those temps.

What is your ambient (room) temperature like. Does the room where the computer lives get very warm this time of year?

Hi

I have run a bench mark with stock settings. The motherboard get to a max of 45c cpu 70c and the gup 68c

Hi

I have run a bench mark with stock settings. The motherboard get to a max of 45c cpu 70c and the gup 68c

SO, I guess this is a graphic benchmark (GPU temps). Doesn't mean much in term of temperature for the CPU.

Try CineBench R15/R20, running a 10x loop. That should give an idea about your CPU temp on heavy load. Prime 95 for 15/20 minutes works as well (use blend).

No I benchmarked both cpu and gpu. Under load the motherboard was42c cpu 70c gpu 68c room temp 22c

No I benchmarked both cpu and gpu. Under load the motherboard was42c cpu 70c gpu 68c room temp 22c

Sorry, my bad, missed the CPU, not enough coffe yet. STill early where I live.

So, you still have a good 20c margin for the CPU and 10/15 for the GPU. Those new GPU's are tricky to OC, with the TDP/Temp management.

I wonder if this is related to the SSD? If this is under or close to the GPU then perhaps it is overheating? Can you check the SSD temperature?

I did think that to about the SSD. I ran several checks on SSD using the Samsung app. Would get to 52c underload normally 38c. Do you think it has anything to do with the windows 10 build ? I am using windows 10 version 2004.
When running the PC not overclocked I have no problems

Well then, you need to ask yourself if you really need to overclock. With the modern chips the performance gain is very limited anyway when overclocking as opposed to stock with a higher single core max turbo frequency.

If I did overclock what sort of performance would I get over stock?

Test it. In benchmarks like CBR20 that are totally or heavily CPU dependent and efficiently utilize as many cores as you can throw at them, overclocking all cores will give you what is arguably a significant gain. In most games, you may find that stock with the higher single core turbo boost wins out. Kind of depends on what you use the compute for.

Back