• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock became unstable over time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roguebantha

Registered
So I have something odd that I'm experiencing, and I'm wondering whether this is typical. I've been using the same stable GPU overclock for the past 6 months without issue, but today, my computer suddenly crashed without warning, with my mobo claiming that it could not detect my GPU. I shut down my computer and restarted and when I went to run a stress test, the test (although not the system) crashed claiming a typical unstable GPU behavior "display driver stopped working unexpectedly". I then reset my overclock to default clock speeds...and now it's fine, no problems at all. Is it typical for a once stable overclock to become unstable over time? Or is something more sinister going on here?

Silicon can certainly degrade. Depends on your overclock as far as voltage given to it, temps.. etc.

So.... what card was it? What was your overclock at? Voltage? Temps? What exactly where you doing when it crashed...gaming?

(How about a signature with your hardware in it - unless you are posting mobile and already have one)

Hey EarthDog,
I'm running a Geforce GTX 970 with a modest overclock of around 120 Mhz with stock voltage and a 110% power target. Temps were generally perfectly fine with the highest I ever saw around 80 degrees. And yes, it first crashed when I was gaming and took the whole system with it, and the second time it just crashed itself. I'm now experiencing some small instability while gaming (appears to be things not loading for some reason) and I'm not sure if it's related.

80C indicates a thermal problem. My 970 stays at around 63C full load even during the peak of summer.

voltage is a drug. after awhile enough isn't enough and you keep needing more.

My fan curve is set a LITTLE low, but as EarthDog said, I've never seen 80 as a problem.

Maybe dust buildup or poor case airflow? Is it a reference style cooler or a two fan cooler?

It's a two fan cooler, an EVGA Geforce GTX 970 ACX 2.0. However, there is some pretty poor case airflow; my cable management is less than sublime.
=

Two fan coolers really do depend on case airflow. What happens if you remove the side panel and direct a desk fan at it?

voltage is a drug. after awhile enough isn't enough and you keep needing more.

I've found this to be the case with GPUs, but not so much CPUs. Go figure. Love the metaphor! My GTX 680 trucked along for a couple years with no issue, then decided this year that it needed a lot more power for the same clock.

Interesting note...I wonder why my overclock only lasted half a year though. It still doesn't feel quite right to me. It really wasn't running at that aggressive of a clock; stock voltage, stock bios, but it gave up fast.

Interesting note...I wonder why my overclock only lasted half a year though. It still doesn't feel quite right to me. It really wasn't running at that aggressive of a clock; stock voltage, stock bios, but it gave up fast.
Heat kills. ;)

Get better case airflow, it's possible that your overclock could re-stabilize if you keep your card away from the throttling point.

I thought these cards were generally pretty safe up to 85 to 90...I thought mine was well below that point. Is 80 generally considered too high?

I thought these cards were generally pretty safe up to 85 to 90...I thought mine was well below that point. Is 80 generally considered too high?

That's the consensus, but as all pc parts go, the cooler they are the better they run ;) Mr. Scott hit it on the head.

I see. So if I increase case airflow a little, and maybe bump up the fan curve as well, I might be able to run the original stable overclock/increase the lifetime of my card?

I see. So if I increase case airflow a little, and maybe bump up the fan curve as well, I might be able to run the original stable overclock/increase the lifetime of my card?
If you haven't done any permanent damage maybe.

I don't see how running stock voltage would "degrade the card" this quickly. 80c is under design limits as well. I'd personally rma a 6 month old card that was having stability issues that quickly.

I don't see how running stock voltage would "degrade the card" this quickly. 80c is under design limits as well. I'd personally rma a 6 month old card that was having stability issues that quickly.
It's not exactly 'degraded'. It runs at stock just fine. There is no guaranty on overclock. They won't RMA it.

Back