• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock CPU keeps changing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am of two minds now. I know the CPU Temp rising so fast is because of the water cooling. No cpu air cooler to cool the socket area which is where CPU Temp comes from.
Is it easy enough to take a good, clear, well-lighted picture of the inside of your case with the side off? I want to see if the H-60 radiator is blocking any air from other fans from getting to the VRM/Socket area.
If you need more pictures, let me know. Also there is no fan in front of the case since there's no fan slot

img0966sz.jpg

img0967d.jpg

img0968uh.jpg

img0969q.jpg

img0972co.jpg

img0973qs.jpg

img0974x.jpg

img0975bs.jpg

img0976wo.jpg

img0978ph.jpg

Edit: I tried running Prime95 bend test with the side case off. I still get 62 Celsius but it just take about 5minutes longer to reach that temperature than with the side panel on

Last edited:
I don't know what you are going to do about air to the base of the CPU socket/VRM area. When you start pushing tons of air thru the sides of that case it will likely upset air flow to the fans on the radiator. That will not be a good thing. Wish the case had air in thru the lower front.

Some of the newer cases have openings in the motherboard tray behind the cpu socket, so you can change the cpu cooler without removing the mother board. Is your motherboard tray open there?

ifarted said:
Edit: I tried running Prime95 bend test with the side case off. I still get 62 Celsius but it just take about 5minutes longer to reach that temperature than with the side panel on.

I just read that after posting above.

You can push the cpu mhz until the CPU Temp reaches 70c and then quit. I know you have a cooling problem and as yet don't see anything to do about it with your setup.

Up the multiplier and P95 it and see if you get by without adding Vcore. Don't push the CPU Temp past 70c and whatever you get to will be just it. An H-100 does a much better job but even they have problems when you REALLY push and 8 core Bulldozer.

I don't know what you are going to do about air to the base of the CPU socket/VRM area. When you start pushing tons of air thru the sides of that case it will likely upset air flow to the fans on the radiator. That will not be a good thing. Wish the case had air in thru the lower front.

Some of the newer cases have openings in the motherboard tray behind the cpu socket, so you can change the cpu cooler without removing the mother board. Is your motherboard tray open there?

nope in order to get behind the motherboard i would have to take the whole motherboard out ;x

I just read that after posting above.

You can push the cpu mhz until the CPU Temp reaches 70c and then quit. I know you have a cooling problem and as yet don't see anything to do about it with your setup.

Up the multiplier and P95 it and see if you get by without adding Vcore. Don't push the CPU Temp past 70c and whatever you get to will be just it. An H-100 does a much better job but even they have problems when you REALLY push and 8 core Bulldozer.

right now the multiplier is 18x i believe. I followed what you told me in the earlier post
And for the CPU temperature, isnt the recommended maximum 62 Celsius?
I think my airflow is bad because my case is pretty small

AS far as I can see what I wrote in my post #43 is going to be it as far as I personally can see. Oh there are ways to fix it, but not without pushing cash at it. I knew this before I ever got my used FX-8120 and my water setup is very very heavy duty to push cold water thru my water block and have fan pushing under the board and another blowing directly on the VRMs over-flowing on the CPU socket. .

My temperature stops at 64c with prime running.

what are some option i can do to push my cpu to 4.0

Last edited:
right now the multiplier is 18x i believe. I followed what you told me in the earlier post
And for the CPU temperature, isnt the recommended maximum 62 Celsius?
I think my airflow is bad because my case is pretty small

Yes you used 18x so try 19x.

I said 70c because we have moved to that number when the newer FX-series came on the scene. I think the 62c is for the cores. It would make more sense. I have not seen AMD answer that question even when quizzed at least 5 or 6 times by people that posted the answer from AMD in a forum thread.

I would zip tie a fan blowing directly on the Blue heatsink over the VRMs and let air from it blow on the cpu socket area and see if that helps at all. I know you said you had air from an 'house-type' fan blowing in the case so I don't hold out a lot of hope for directly blowing air with two fans like I do with one under the board and one hanging about 3 inches from the blue VRM sink as it were.

Read that it looks like everyone has given you the right pointers on the bios, though I would suggest taking the panels off your case for additional cooling. While your CPU water loop is a good idea, is not all that effective over the best air cooling, at least that is what I get from the results you have posted.

Then, take the radiator for the CPU cooler and mount it on the back side of the case, get it away from the VRM's, that is the hottest part on your motherboard.

Then reroute one of those case fans to be blowing over the VRM's on that board, it is Digi system so power overall should be really happy from that board, just keep it cool. Someone did bring up putting a fan on the VRM's (this is a great suggestion), it's a good idea but you have them blocked by the CPU cooling radiator, you will have to move that to do this setup change.

So you see it when you wake. What Trance4c writes makes very good sense and was a big help for a friend of mine with his H-80.

Then, take the radiator for the CPU cooler and mount it on the back side of the case, get it away from the VRM's, that is the hottest part on your motherboard.
Then reroute one of those case fans to be blowing over the VRM's on that board, it is Digi system so power overall should be really happy from that board, just keep it cool. Someone did bring up putting a fan on the VRM's (this is a great suggestion), it's a good idea but you have them blocked by the CPU cooling radiator, you will have to move that to do this setup change.

I'm not sure what you mean by this because the radiator can't be mounted on the back since there are those two tubes in the way. And also what is VRM?

Many cases have holes for the tubes so that the radiator can be on the outside while the water block is on the inside. With a prebuilt water loop like you have it would mean disconnecting the hoses to put the radiator on the outside. It can be done but you would need to make sure you get all the air out of the lines when you reconnect so you don't get air lock and no flow. Usually, people place inside case radiators in line with a case fan hole as you have done and either exhaust the warm air coming from the radiator directly to the outside or pull cool air directly from the outside trough the radiator into the case. The way you have it positioned now is a pretty standard arrangement. Is the radiator fan an exhaust fan or an intake fan as you now have it?

Many cases have holes for the tubes so that the radiator can be on the outside while the water block is on the inside. With a prebuilt water loop like you have it would mean disconnecting the hoses to put the radiator on the outside. It can be done but you would need to make sure you get all the air out of the lines when you reconnect so you don't get air lock and no flow. Usually, people place inside case radiators in line with a case fan hole as you have done and either exhaust the warm air coming from the radiator directly to the outside or pull cool air directly from the outside trough the radiator into the case. The way you have it positioned now is a pretty standard arrangement. Is the radiator fan an exhaust fan or an intake fan as you now have it?

My case doesnt have hoes in the back to put the tube through.It i were to get the air out the tube when reconnecting it, how would that be done? Both radiator fan blows air out the case. Air inside the case is being blow out the case.

|outside the case|<<<|Case back|<<<<|Fan||Radiator|<|Fan|<<< (cpu)
Airflow:<<<< (I hope you understand that diagram lol)

What make and model case do you have? Are there fans, or at least places to mount fans, in the front or top panel of the case or is the only fan hole at the back?

Edit: Okay, I see from your sig that you have 3 80mm fans.

So tell me how you have the three 80mm fans oriented with respect to where they are in the case and if they are pushing air into the case or pushing it out.

That case has no input fan in lower front. He said that it did not even have a place for the fan. His pics are a little hard to see but he has a single arrow showing air out up thru the top of the case in his last attached pic above. All side panel fans blow air in.

It looks like a classic situation of crappy air-flow and seems mostly because of the case.

Okay, after looking at your pics more carefully, here's what I recommend: Turn the radiator around so it's pulling in cool air from the outside. Have all the other case fans exhausting air out of the case.

Okay, after looking at your pics more carefully, here's what I recommend: Turn the radiator around so it's pulling in cool air from the outside. Have all the other case fans exhausting air out of the case.

Yes, think that is a good option making the radiator fans draw in outside air and the other fans exhaust air. Maybe then he can get a fan closer to the VRMs and the bottom of the cpu socket and lower the cpu temps. Core temps seem okay enough.

Back