• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Experts please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JosephL13

Hey, I've got a MSI 870-G45 ATX Motherboard, Amd Phenom 2 x4 955 and 8 gigs of gskill ram.

I was wondering how far I can OC this setup, I blew the vrms last time (I think too much voltage was what did it). So I want to play it safe this time.

Any guide or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II - The guide to taming the Phenom II (and Athlon II ...soon to include Thuban!).

Concern is for Core Temp of the cpu only in general with phenom 2 type processor.
HWMonitor will for sure give you the Core Temp readouts.

55C Core temp would be about max temp for temps and remain stable.

Voltage to the cpu would be about 1.475 as my own imposed max voltage. YMMV.

Here one of our excellent forum members shows where to read the Cores Temps in
HW Monitor. You can also see the Vcore of the cpu. Run the program while you are
stress testing and HW Monitor will log Min and Max temps etc.

Keep an eye on the mosfet temps, not having heatsinks they can get awfully hot at high voltage high loads.
Checking their temp is rather difficult as there are no built in probes, and if they're hot they will burn your finger almost instantly. An infrared temp gun is ideal, failing that be real quick and light with a fingertip I guess.

I limit myself to 1.55v on air regardless of temps, 1.6v on water regardless of temps, and no limits when benching subzero.

3.8ghz should be a no question overclock for 24/7 you might be able to move closer to 4+GHZ depending on what your willing to do. However, I see that your motherboard does not exactly have a very strong VRM section and that also does not have any heatsinks on it.

GL

Back