• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PuckX

Hopefully someone can help me. I have searched and can't find an answer yet. This is my system basically:

MOBO: K8N Neo 2 Bios Version Beta 1.52
CPU: AMD Athlon 3500+ Winchester
Memory: CORSAIR XMS Xtreme Memory 2x512 2-2-2-5 in slot 1&2
Video Card: EVGA 6800GT
HDD: 2 x WD 36Gb on SATA port 3 and 4/Raid 0
Sound Card: Onboard
Power Supply: Ultra-X Connect 500W
Case: Thermaltake Shark
WaterCooling: Thermaltake Big Water (i know i know, i was ignorant at the time, but it does work decent believe it or not)

BIOS VERSION = Beta1.52
Cell Menu-->
Memory Submenu --> Auto, 1T, 3, 3, 8, 3
Hiperf = manual
agp drive = disabled
speedup = disable
Dram Strength = normal
spread-spec = disabled
HTT = 4x
Mult = 11x
FSB = 240
agp = 67
vcore = 1.55
vdimm = 2.75
agp =1.65

First off very impressed with Winchester core chips, I have this pushed to 2.6 without any issues. My actual problems start once I try and go over 240fsb and its not with the chip or ram. Its the board, my system will not detect the raid once I go over 240, to the point it wont even show the raid chipset info just shows a blinking cursor where the text is normally at and thats it. Previously I had an issue without overclocking where if my HT was 5x it would take forever to reboot, then detect the raid, or sometimes not requiring me to cold boot. Now it wont even attempt or atleast doesnt show that its attempting. My drives are on 3 and 4 like they are supposed to be so I'm not sure what is causing the issue. A buddy of mine swears up and down that sata raid currently sucks and that I should just use them as seperate drives, which he thinks will solve my problem plus he says performance blows on sata raid. So I probably will try his suggestion. I have also tried dropping my HT to 3x and still no different results. Considering the past issue without any overclocking I am beginning to wonder if I got a bunk board... any suggestions would be appreciated as I would like to push my system harder. As a side note the big water as sub par as most believe it is has prevented my cpu from even deviating from its idle temps. I am actually impressed with its performance.

Thanks in advance!

Well I have been able to get my fsb to 250 now without my raid freaking out. I dropped down to Bios 1.51 and that seemed to help. Now Im at 2750 (250*11) seems stable for the most part except when i run 3dmark '05 it causes windows to reboot. I have voltages cranked up, no heat issues since my water cooling is kicking @SS. I may have it my chips limit, but it could be memory so I am going to mess with timings a bit and see if I cant stable this ***** up. Ill let you all know how it goes. :)

Try dropping bioses a little further, 1.41/1.37/1.36 moddeds and see if they help at all. 1.36 is a favourite due to extra working voltage options.
Also, its a long shot but did you try running the HTT down at 3*? Also try increasing the tras to say 10 or 11... 11 (0n this board anyways) looses a little bw, but stability is LOADS better...
Running raid 0 is pointless IMO, you gain a little speed, but loose out on seek in windows. Just run 2 single drives... that way if one goes wrong, you dont loose the lot...

Last edited:
Highlander said:
that way if one goes go tits up, you dont loose the lot...
Careful there Highlander. Remember, those Puritans came to America and the place has been screwed up ever since! LOL (Did I say screwed...forgot, shouldn't say screwed either, damn!:))

rseven said:
Careful there Highlander. Remember, those Puritans came to America and the place has been screwed up ever since! LOL (Did I say screwed...forgot, shouldn't say screwed either, damn!:))

sorted! :D

Back