• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Q6700 on Intel D975XBX board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gangland

Hey there,

First Post Newcomer!

Coming into the game later here. I just picked up an Alienware Area 51 5500 R5 computer which has an Intel D975xbx board in it. I bought the computer basically for the case, but after running the computer and reading the writeups on the board I am going to try and squeeze as much performance out of it for fun. :O))

I was able to get a Intel QX6700 processor for the board for 40 bucks, and I am able to run the setup with no issues. I believe I am running the 1351 bios revision. I was only able to find posts associated with this processor/board combo that ran this bios, so I flashed it to this rather than going straight to the latest release. Again, the setup runs great at stock speeds. I knew that I wanted to get as much performance out of the setup as possible, so I got the Noctua NH-D14 cooler for the CPU (i dont trust water). At this point I was sure that I could go pretty far on an overclock and not have to worry about cooling.

Saturday I sat down to start. I raised the FSB up from 10-15-20% and had it up to 25% which was my target for fsb to bring ram to 1:1. I am running 667 ram, so this 25% yields 333.125 which seems acceptable? The problem is that the computer would barely run. I dropped the FSB back down to 24% and got minimally better performance. I noted that after about 20% the case fans kicked in at full speed also. I didn't even mess with the multiplier, just changed FSB percentage.

I know that once I have the FSB where I want it, that I can start overclocking the processor (involves voltage increase). My question is, what is causing the instability of upping the FSB %age? Not sure if I need to bump the voltage of the processor, memory, or fsb? I don't want to toast my aged board on the first try, so I went back down to stock settings.

Any insight would be helpful. I'd like to be at around 3.6 which is the 333.125 target base fsb and 11 multiplier. I'm sure this is doable, and with the cooling should be ok??

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks Earthdog. After reading your attachment it makes more sense.

Although I may have already screwed myself: It says within the tutorial to set pci to 100 in order to save the graphics card from being effected by the fsb change. I have a brand new GTX760 installed while I was testing. Is there any way to tell if I damaged the card?

Thanks!!

Back