• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock reset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overclockvirgin

hi. im liza and im an overclock virgin! i just had my first pc build - asus crosshair iv formula, amd phenom2 x6 1090 be, sapphire radeon 5770 vapor-x, kingston 6gb ddr3, 1.5TB seagate, running windows 7ultimate x64. evrything was OK 'till i used turboV evo, run extreme tuning. the new setting has made my cpu freq set to almost 3.9ghz, everytime even without load!!! and system has become unstable. i tried to flash the bios with 1102 hoping that it will reset everything, but after booting up to windows, cpu still set at 3,9ghz without load. before it was running at 900mhz idle, and bump to 3.5 when there is load, then go back again to 900. i want to reset it to the same factory default settings. how can i do that??

Welcome to the forum liza! Your problem is easy to fix. Try this first: Go into your bios and hit the F9 key to reset everything in the bios to default. To enter the bios press the "Enter setup" key (usually "Delete" key or could be one of the F_ keys. The post up message will tell you.).

If that doesn't work then "jumper" (reset) the cmos. Locate the small round button battery on the motherboard. Near it there should be a three pin jumper block with a jumper bridging two of the pins. Turn your computer off first, pull the power chord from the back of the power supply, then move the jumper over to the other two pins, i.e., from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 for a few seconds. If you are unsure as to location of the jumper block, consult your motherboard owner's manual. Move the jumper back to pins 1-2, reconnect the power chord and restart the computer.

It would be normal for your CPU to throttle back to 900 mhz at idle when set to stock parameters. That is a power saving convention. You can turn it off by disabling Cool and Quiet and C1E in bios.

Last edited:
Don't use Auto OC'ing. Read a guide, ask questions and the do it yourself in the BIOS. That way you learn and get better results. Read the manual as well.

Last edited:
that board should have a reset cmos button on it, but you might have to switch the jumpers to enable it, worked great on my CH III when I needed it.

bios reset at the push of a button.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome and your help! QuietIce, thanks for thelink of this well-made guide...

I manage to OC my CPU to 3.8ghz, but I think my system is a little too hot. Im still using stock cooling and I read about a problem on this mobo's NB and SB heatsinks. Any ideas masters on what I can do?

Attachments

• Workspace 1_001.JPG
    Workspace 1_001.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 20,304
I can't comment on the NB problem other than to confirm your beliefs. 60°C or more is high for any AMD component. The only thing I've heard about fixing it is removing the heatsink, applying new TIM, and reseating it - but it's not something I'd recommend if you don't know what you're doing. The retainer tabs for those can break if you're not careful.

A couple of other things, though. I noticed you're running three sticks of RAM. Not only will that cause problems with overclocking (when you get around to doing that ;)) it also reduces RAM performance. You should run RAM in pairs of sticks, either two or four, never three.

The other thing: What monitoring program are you using? I don't think I've ever seen a program that shows the cpuNB voltage, or all the chipset voltages for that matter. Nice program ... :)

@QuietIce

Thanks for your reply. I actually managed to OC this system to 3.8ghz using AMD overdrive. I can't push it more because I'm still using the stock fan. What do you think is better - coolermaster V6 (im not sure if it'll fit my mid tower) or corsair H70 water cooling kit?

The program is called X-sensors and its in Ubuntu. I'm dual booting windows7 and ubuntu 10.10. The other one on terminal(command prompt) is its built-in "sensors".

Thanks!!

Noctua D14 i reckon :) also with the ram, im dont know too much about the crosshair but shouldnt it have triple channel ram? so the 6gb would fit right in wouldnt it?

hey guys...i saw this casing and immediately fell in love with it's so macho appeal!!!! so i bought it and migrated my system and the temperature drop was i would say good. im still waiting for my corsair H70 kit as you guys said, and i hope that it will bring my cpu temp down. i also removed one stick of ram and managed to oc it to 1800+mhz (thanks quietice!) never knew that oc'ing would be this fun! what do you think guys?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 19,856
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 19,849
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 19,732
Hey Check out the CollIT LCLC (low cost-liquid cooling) solutions. I had the c120 on a CHIV mobo with the 1090t processor and ran 4.1ghz with 54c max for about 3 months happily.

MY CHIV also has lost its settings randomly, try using the OC profiles located under the tools menu. I have like 4 or 5 oc's saved. From 3.8 ghz-4.7. It's nice because you can save the OC you're using then try to bump it a bit more, if you get lost and can't get it stable just reload the profile.

Back