• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocked Q9450. Looking to see if it is okay

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cizar

Registered
(Mother Board)
- Evga 780i SLi

(Memory)
- OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 / 1066 MHz / Reaper HPC Edition / Dual Channel 4 GB
- Stable on Prime95 24+ hours @ 5-5-5-15 800mhz

(Processor)
- Intel Quad Core Q9450 2.66 GHZ (overclocked to 3.4 Ghz)
- Stable on prime95 24+ hours @ (1700 Mhz FSB) 3.4 GHZ @ 1.35V HT is on
- Peak temps 65c during Prime95 over 16 hours.

(Processor Cooling)
- Tuniq 120 - Big massive thing really.

(Graphics Card)
- Gigabyte GTX560 Ti SOC

(Operating System)
- Windows 7 x86 home edition (Genuine)

System voltages:

Core: 1.35 V
FSB: 1.3 V
Ram: 2.0 V
SPP: 1.4 V
MCP: 1.525 V
SPP <-> MCP: 1.25 V

My question is, first off, are my ram timings appropriate? Those timings are what they were stock. I have not overclocked the ram at all - I am wondering if I should a little bit. But I would like some advice on the ram timings.

Secondly, my voltages. Do they look right? I researched a lot online about safe voltages for my overclock. Just want to make sure nothing looks out of place there.

Thirdly, My FSB-DRAM ratio. Should that be 1:1 or something else? Please advise

The overclock seems to be stable, I just dont want to fry anything. I have run multiple instances of prime95 with no failures.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
At a FSB of 425MHz / 1700 FSB (QDR) how is the RAM running at only DDR2-800, when the lowest FSB : DRAM ratio is 1:1? At that FSB w/ a 1:1 divider, the RAM should be running at an effective 425MHz (DDR2-850). Since you have PC2-8500, change the DRAM frequency / MEM (DDR) to DDR2-1062, this utilizing the 4:5 divider for an effective 531MHz. And if the rated timings and voltage are 5-5-5-15 and 2.0V at 533MHz, then just leave them where they're at.

Ok, I did that and it is now at the settings that you suggested. Seems to be working just great. I will run memtest again later tonight.

As far as possibly uping to 3.6 GHZ, do you think that is something that would be wise? I don't want to kill my CPU in the process of this overclocking. Do you have any advice for that?

You won't kill the chip. You'll probably need a BIOS setting of ~1.40V Vcore, or whatever setting is necessary to achieve a loaded 1.38V or so at 3.6GHz. Just keep an eye on the core temp's w/ either Core Temp or Real Temp. Intel set the absolute max. Vcc / Vcore for the Q9000 series at 1.45V, so just keep the Distance to Tj Max at no less than 20-25C (75-80C max. core temp's).

Last edited:
What should I do with the ram, keep it as is? Would the 4:5 ratio still be intact or would i need to change that to something else?
Sorry for all the noob questions by the way, and thanks for being so helpful.

Just keep the FSB : DRAM ratio at 1:1 for the time being, and concentrate on a stable CPU overclock. DRAM settings can be changed after finding your max. stable overclock.

Should it be linked or unlinked? When I link it and do the 1:1 and save and reboot, it makes a long beep and then changes my settings back to default. Is there something wrong there?

Yeah, it cause that reset. If I have it the way you told me to put it, with the 1062 and the 4:5 ratio, it works fine, but it is unlinked.

Along with redduc's typical expertise, I invite you to take the leap yourself a bit and read the C2D/C2Q guide that is linked in my signature. This should help give you an idea of what you are doing instead of cookie cutter'ing' your way through this overclock. ;)

Is there another name or acronym for VTT. I dont have that on my motherboard.

FSB Termination Voltage=VTT.
VTT has actually been around as a measured voltage since the pentium 2 days. I don't think it was adjustable back then, though.

Back