• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

:: Overclockers.com SETI Team :: Useful information, FAQ and Instructions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seems that I might be needing to update this sticky once again ;) now with the BOINC info available in the forum :D

I'm on-board.

I've been a member of TPS for years and used to run SETI@home but there were some problems in the early 2000's - I'm glad they have it worked out ...

hmm you are referring to an command line client versus screensaver version in Seti classic, CLC was way faster back then.
Now there is only Boinc installer, and you can install it as service or as an single user. Both works the same in terms of speed.

Seti classic is over so old software doesnt work anymore, since now Seti@home is part of Boinc infrastructure.

Observational Data is recorded on 35 Gigabyte tapes at the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico, each holding 15.5 hours of observations, which are then mailed to Berkeley. Once there, it is divided in both time and frequency domains work units of 107 seconds of data (SETI@home 2001), or approximately 0.35 MB, which overlap in time but not in frequency. These work units then get sent from the SETI@home server over the internet to people around the world to analyze.
The analysis software can search for signals with about one-tenth the strength of those sought in previous surveys, because it makes use of a computationally intensive algorithm called coherent integration that no one else has had the computing power to implement.

The program is looking for four types of singnals:

Spikes in power spectra

Gaussian rises and falls in transmission power, possibly representing the telescope beam's main lobe passing over a radio source

Triplets — three power spikes in a row,

Pulsing signals that possibly represent a narrowband digital-style transmission.

So program does alot of signal processing mostly FFT algorithms in order to find interesting signals from space that could be transmitted by extraterestrials.

Here is the info on one of the candidate signals found by Seti@home in 2004: Radio source SHGb02+14a

eaglescouter said:
You are on the team, welcome, and don't forget to optimize those clients to maximize your return :clap:

Okay then how can I be accepted withen the OCfrorums...like get the SETI team under my name? Would love to take part

Back