• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 960T BE and 555 BE have to decide on one or the other

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

givmedew

over at http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700573

I started with wondering about upgrading an aging PC. The conversation has turned into an overclocking question since I was able to get a pc with a 555BE and MSI motherboard that was stable to so awesome clock speeds.

The new thing though is I happened upon a 960T and a better ASUS motherboard and now I am wondering which chip I should keep and which I should sell!

The motherboard is an ASUS M5A97 I am cooling with a CM V8

The CPUs are:

A 555 BE that is stable @ 1.384v with all 4 cores unlocked and at 4.2GHz I would be running the thing at 4.0GHz for safety's sake.

The other CPU is a 960T which I am currently running at 3.7GHz and 1.356v
I have not locked the cores back and gone for its max with only 4 cores yet I am guessing that one I find that then that is what I set the turbo mode up as? I believe I can set the turbo mode to switch from 6 to 4 and increase the vcore right?

The situation here is that I can only keep one of the CPUs. I have not found the limit of the 960T yet and on AIR I feel that I do not want to exceed 4GHz on the 555 which I am 100% sure is stable at 4.2 as I had it running prime blend for 2HRs and the only concern is that with prime on the high heat mode it does get up to 57c on the chip not the cores which I believe are about 10c lower but you are in the blind when you unlock the cores.

So for games performance wise which of the 2 is the better guessing that I will be able to hit 4GHz on turbo mode and guessing that turbo mode supports 4 cores not just 3?

If you are selling one of the cpus, then keep the one you can get the lesser money for. Selling one that is more expensive will get you money to get other parts. Each of your configurations based on what you actually say is about equal one to another. Get money.

but you are in the blind when you unlock the cores. = Do you really have any idea how important cpu temps are? I have not made it a point to check cpu temps on the computer I am typing on now in over a year and a half. And in the case of 'core unlocking' and losing the ability to read what is really only a guessed at nearly temp for a core...you can get a 'relative' number to use and is plenty good.

You really ask questions that probably not even two of ten of us in this forum would have the same answer about. So when we all get thru giving answers to your questions, you will still have questions that really only you can answer. Keep what you like and get rid of the less liked. It is about even with what you have.

If I were you I would keep the 960T, it can also overclock to 4 GHz with an added bonus
of possible core unlocks. Just keep in mind you probably won't get much further than
3.6GHz if it unlocks. If you don't have any applications that would use the extra
cores however you might just want to keep the 555BE since I'm pretty sure you could
get more $ for the 960T. It's up to you.

Last edited:
personally, and this is just my opinion i would keep the 960t, but that is because im in love with my 960t,
the unlocking of cores is handy for possible future use if you dont need them now,
my 960t is sitting stable at 4.1 with 1.4 vcore i feel it could go a little higher but as this is my everyday use computer
i dont want to thrash it too much,
at the end of the day the choice is yours and not one that anyone can decide for you, only voice there opinions,
in terms of selling one, you most likly will get more cash for the 960, but im sure you will find someone to buy either,
good luck deciding and hope you enjoy whichever you choose. :thup:

Back