• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking a athlon 3800+ Socket 939

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zasheh

Disabled
Hey guys i was needing your help

I've been strongly thinking of overclocking my PC's CPU, to somewhere like 2.4-2.7ghz in hope of a decent little extra performance, troubles are this PC is used a lot (say about 12 hours a day for a example) and left on idle a lot, and i was wondering if that would be bad for it, I was reading up someone got theirs to 2.5ghz with decent temp, but i wanted to ask here to be double-y sure

computer is just a older HP pavilion a1108, Jeantech 400w Psu, 1GB nvidia gtx 550 ti, 3.5gb ram (3.12gb usable) Windows 7 home premium x86. and using the stock fan. MSI amythest m 1.0 mobo
and phoenix 3.34 bios
thanks in advance ^W^

ii guess if i could also is there any software to do so? :)

Here, this should cover most of your questions regarding overclocking the 939 setup. Read it, it basically covers everything you could ever want to know in detail.

http://icrontic.com/article/overclocking_on_754939_platform

I used to run my 3800 x2 at 2.5 24/7 for about 3 years. I remember some people hitting upwards of 2.8 (rare) on air. We don't recommend software overclocking 'round these parts.

Most mass-produced computers like that don't really have overclocking options in the bios.

I see you're using a pre-built HP system.

You will likely have difficulty overclocking on that motherboard due to the fact that it probably lacks any overclocking options in the bios.

However, if my experience with that model of CPU is a good indication, on a good board with these options you should expect to hit around 2.55-2.6GHz max with stock voltage. With an increase to the CPU's voltage you may be able to reach 2.7-2.8GHz (or higher if you're lucky and have some good cooling).

For 2.7-2.8GHz you'll likely have to set your vCore (CPU voltage) to around 1.47-1.55V (it varies). That particular CPU runs a bit hot at 2.8GHz with air cooling though, and even one of the more expensive larger air coolers will run a bit hot, so I might not recommend going that high for a PC you have for your regular daily usage or 24/7 usage.

Back