• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Z370 HD3 enjoying a good overclocking experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

I have been using my low budget Gigabyte Z370 HD3 for two weeks and have given it a proper shake down without any trouble. I have my i5 8600k clocked to 5.0GHz using DVID+0.060v all other settings on AUTO. My G.SKill 3200 14-14-14-34 memory is overclocked to 3600 15-15-15-35 with using XMP, memory mutiplier, and primary timings the rest on AUTO.

I tried memory OC 4000 CL 18 for the fun of it and the board has a cool feature when it can't post it will train down the ram speed while post cycling that I could see with the lights and fan going off and on every step down, then it settled at 3600 speed and booted into windows. I did not give up on memory overclocking so I tried 3866 18-19-19-39 and it posted and booted into memtest86 with running errors. So I tired 3733 17-17-17-37 and it was getting errors in memtest86, so I worked with that speed for a week with reasonable voltages and timings without successes, then settled for 3600 15-15-15-35.

What I really like about the motherboard is the intuitive BIOS and the backup BIOS. When I was hammering BIOS for a week with saving settings using unstable memory setup prior, two times the back up BIOS kicked in during post while trying the same memory speed and timings, just a lot of voltage changes. So my BIOS was corrupted a couple of times. Usually if my CMOS settings won't allow a post, it jumps to failed post screen with the option to boot with default setup or enter BIOS setup and make changes to the previous settings.

For a low budget motherboard us$114.00 I'm really impressed and it has all the features I want or need.

i5 8600k 5.0GHz 36000.jpg

I had similar good experience with two Gigabyte Z370P D3 motherboards running an i5-8600K and an i7-8700K at 5 GHz. After I sold the first as a part of a combo with the i5-8600K, I couldn't resist buying another a few weeks later when Newegg had them on sale for $89. That one is currently running my i7-8700K @ 5 GHz.

We've preached this all along with mainstream Intel boards. :)

DVID+0.060v
So............ what is your actual load voltage since VID varies for each CPU (screenshot doesn't show it). Is it 1.23V (1.175 + 0.06)?

Last edited:
I don't want to sound like an *** but pretty much most ( if not all ) Z370 motherboards can make the same.

Re dual bios, I have no idea if Gigabyte fixed that but in previous series when 1st BIOS chip was faulty in some way then 2nd one was useless and board couldn't start anyway ( because 2nd chip only keeps backup ). So it can help only if saved data is corrupted but if there is bigger issue then it's time for RMA. Actually big part of my RMA on Gigabyte boards were because of faulty BIOS. Every motherboard with BIOS flashback option or manual switch is better.

I don't want to sound like an *** but pretty much most ( if not all ) Z370 motherboards can make the same.

True - you can pay $89 like I did or pay up to $424 for an ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula. Whatever floats your boat, but for me the cheaper the better. BTW I had a similar experience with getting various Ryzens to 4 GHz with $70 ASRock and Gigabyte AM4 B350 motherboards.

We've preached this all along with mainstream Intel boards. :)

So............ what is your actual load voltage since VID varies for each CPU (screenshot doesn't show it). Is it 1.23V (1.175 + 0.06)?
BIOS LLC AUTO, 1.300v+0.060 DVID, Dynamic Vcore 1.236v to 1.308v at 5.0GHz, Running RealBench

Re dual bios, I have no idea if Gigabyte fixed that but in previous series when 1st BIOS chip was faulty in some way then 2nd one was useless and board couldn't start anyway ( because 2nd chip only keeps backup ). So it can help only if saved data is corrupted but if there is bigger issue then it's time for RMA. Actually big part of my RMA on Gigabyte boards were because of faulty BIOS. Every motherboard with BIOS flashback option or manual switch is better.

The backup BIOS on my Z370 HD3 saved me twice from a corrupted main BIOS by flashing the the main BIOS from backup instantly automatically. I had to reset all my profiles and settings, that is a whole lot better than a RMA. Sure there are better and safer BIOS backup and flash back features. However, at us$114.00 you can't find any backup, restore BIOS options other than Gigabyte. I was going to purchase the ASrock Pro4 for us$130.00. However, no backup BIOS like the ASRock extreme 4 for doing a lot of overclocking with unsafe saving of BIOS for me sealed the no deal.

Last edited:
Hello Guys,
How do u manage to run both 8600k and even 8700 at 5Ghz ?
I'll tell my story with it .
Bought it last year around November for a decent price i believe the BIOS ver F3, i decided to upgrade , upgraded it fo F5 then, i was then playing with different vcore values and frequencies - but first , after update i wasnt even able to START THE WINDOWS properly, what happened was, ther was an never-ending boot loop after BIOS operations and on Windows 10 ( loading dotted circle screen) . I was schocked, thought i flashed it wrong and just killed brand new mobo. I've done a lot of research and found solution . LLC !
The problem was at default settings, LLC was causing an unstable vcore, therefore system cudnt be properly loaded ? isnt it suprising pc wont start at default values? i have had to change it to ac/dc calibration to - performance and vcore calibration to high , then everything is fine, well was ok.
One week ago decided do upgrade it to f8a i believed i will reach better oc conditions...
funny thing i totallt forgot about that LLC issue spend hours thinking what ive done wrong, then realised its LLC setting might help, and yes it worked again however ! Cant remember what was the setting on stock vcore and LLC but it wasnt auto deffo, vcore while on desktop was floating from 0,680v to 1.200v and to 1.400v causing blue screens ! Unbelieveble is how bad the mobo keeps the voltages stable.
you did not mention you experience regarding consistency/stability of your main voltages values? in my case on F5 its under 100 percent utilization floating for example while vcore set to 1.25v it cloating 1.23 - 1.26 inx264 FHD Benchmark, however in LinX it much much worse not stable ..

Would you tell me also, how do i set up overrrides for these voltages, as ive tried eveything and still not find the right setting.
Kind Regards :)

All I did is set Overclocking 5.0GHz LLC AUTO, DVID +0.080 = 1.248v to 1.332v, Prime95 AVX disabled Max temperature 93c ambient 75F.
Web browsing Minimum and Maximum Vcore 0.768v to 1.392v.

All I did is set Overclocking 5.0GHz LLC AUTO, DVID +0.080 = 1.248v to 1.332v, Prime95 AVX disabled Max temperature 93c ambient 75F.
hmm surprised, as somewhere else I was told not to play with DVID value but Vcore instead, never tried it really. i Have now idea how that will affect the actual Vcore value. I'll try tomorrow as im at work now.
Well, im talking about 8700k, therefore mine values will be different to yours and Im pretty sure it'll generate more heat anyway.

Regarding this :
shouldn't the voltage value be more stable/consistent ? When on F8a BIOS ver. i was experiencing BSODS when voltage was going up/down...

hmm surprised, as somewhere else I was told not to play with DVID value but Vcore instead, never tried it really. i Have now idea how that will affect the actual Vcore value. I'll try tomorrow as im at work now.
Well, im talking about 8700k, therefore mine values will be different to yours and Im pretty sure it'll generate more heat anyway.

Regarding this :
shouldn't the voltage value be more stable/consistent ? When on F8a BIOS ver. i was experiencing BSODS when voltage was going up/down...

With a i7 8700k you will need to use IA AC/DC 1 if you want to use dynamic Vcore. I use Dynamic Vcore so the voltage will adjust with utilization and clock speed just like stock only with a little overclock and a increase in Vcore.

I did not notice any voltage change with F8a BIOS. The voltage will go up and down a little with Fixed Vcore, the problem your having with BSOD is not enough increase with vcore.

Last edited:
glad you finally found your sweet spot. nice work. and on a budget board no less. any chance you could go a couple tests to see the difference with high speed memory at 5ghz? i know it barely matters at stock but maybe the oc'd cpu's can use up the extra breathing room. i'm curious about 3000mhz vs 3600mhz at cas15 with memory intensive applications.

I don't have anything that benefits with faster memory past 3200 speed CL 14.

Windows 10 Bench test is the best I can show that 3600 speed CL 15 is the sweet spot at 5.0GHz.

"winsat mem" comand promt adminstator.

3200 14-14-14-34 33250.36 MB/s
3600 15-15-15-35 36321.35 MB/s
3866 16-16-16-36 36932.68 MB/s

With a i7 8700k you will need to use IA AC/DC 1 if you want to use dynamic Vcore. I use Dynamic Vcore so the voltage will adjust with utilization and clock speed just like stock only with a little overclock and a increase in Vcore.

I did not notice any voltage change with F8a BIOS. The voltage will go up and down a little with Fixed Vcore, the problem your having with BSOD is not enough increase with vcore.

hi :)
what do you mean by saing IA AC/DC 1 ?

Also what LLC Levels u have got ? under 8700k of course.

Could u have a look into my topic please.
@Brando on your MOBO do u get flatline Vcore while cpu under stressing in tests or load ? Im thinking of upgrading to taichi( expensive tho ..) or maybe your mobo ( signature one )

- - - Updated - - -

Cooler Master Hyper 212
View attachment 197839

i noticed you have same CPU cooler do u mean hyper Evo 212 ? if so , i'd like to ask anyway, is it normal that whole cooler "twists" when i grab it on the radiator and use "some" force ... i don't know if that's normal , but possibly that might causes the high temperatures ... i don't know ;((

IA AC/DC set to 1 allows to run positive DVID core voltage instead of negative on a i7 8700k. When running DVID core voltage I use AUTO LLC to keep the Vcore lower and prevent BSOD.

Prime95 AVX disabled.
Overclocking 5.0GHz LLC AUTO, DVID +0.080 = 1.260v to 1.332v
Max temperature 93c ambient 75F

Prime95 AVX off, Vcore 1.260v Minimum for all 3 setups.
Web browsing for 2 hour BIOS DVID 0.080v Minimum and Maximum Vcore 0.768v to 1.392v
Web browsing for 9 minutes IA AC/DC = 1, BIOS DVID 0.0130 LLC Turbo = BSOD
Web browsing for 2 hours Fixed Vcore BIOS 1.260v LLC Turbo Minimum and Maximum Vcore 1.212v to 1.332v

The Hyper 212 does twist a little.

No I don't use the guide. Disabling the features in his guide is a waste of my time. The only items in BIOS that needs to be change for a i7 8700k at 5.0GHz is IA AC/DC set to 1 then DVID + and processor multiplier. That is all the items I change in BIOS for processor overclock.:D Also I don't use AVX offset it is left on AUTO.

Hello guys!

Can someone please show me how to undervoltage my 8700K with this MoBo? I'm having trouble understanding how to do it (I had an AsRock Z77 Extreme4 with an i5 3570K at 4.2ghz with 1.112v top, but with this mobo I can't use the offset), because when I set the voltage to 1.175v (the only way I saw it's possible to set it down) the CPU is using that voltage at idle and with Aida64 (stress CPU and stress FPU) is using different voltages (stress CPU and stress FPU 1.088v top, only stress CPU 1.116v top)... Can someone show me how to fix this..? Appreciate your help!

Do you wan't to use Dynamic DVID Vcore or Fixed Vcore? Also what are you trying to accomplish?

Back