• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a E6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LeoVies

Registered
Hello,

first of all my config;

Asus P5nSlI
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 conroe
Coolers: 2 80mm Case fans and a arctic freezer pro 7
3Gb kingston Pc5300
7600GT
Seagate 320 GB
Seagate 250 GB

Temp: 36C and 37C after stressing with prime95

I wanted to play NFS pro street but on my Intel core 2 Duo E6300 it didn't worked very well because my processor was just to slow. I installed it on a P4 3.0 Ghz and it worked perfectly. So i wanted to over clock mine E6300. So i went to the bios and set the AI over clock 10% higher. Came to windows, turned on prime 95, did the torture test and i'd get immediately an error: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4.
So i went searching for an answer but couldn't find one. I'm a novice at OC so please can someone give me a hand? my target is 2.5ghz

Yes i already did. And i've changed the mem stettings.. and someone told me that 5-5-5-15 is a good one to start with so i did that. And i've also changed the Vcore.. (before i did that i checked the max of my Vcore) but still its unstable as hell.

Thats weird. Not your OC but NFSPS running better on a P4 than E6300. An E6300 easily outperforms 3.8GHz P4s in many games, it even beats the 3.73GHz Pentium Dualcores, and it dont need OC to do it. Why dont you do some 3DMark runs and compare the scores on the orb, to see if your system is healthy?
http://service.futuremark.com/orb/index.jsp

Also did that, i also thought wtf?! there is a 300 points difference between the systems. But NFSPS won't work properly. In the menu it works fine but when you want to start the game its veeeery slow. But besides that OC is a thing that i want to learn, I've read reviews about a [email protected] (with watercooling) and 2.6ghz with air cooling. But i can't get it stable so even 2.5ghz won't work right now.

well the board he is using isnt that great for ocing. that board is a good choice for getting into SLI. sounds like though you either need to bump the cpu volts or the nb volts. could even be you need to loosen the timings on the ram. it could be a combo of things to get it stable at a low 10% oc. very well could be the board is just to flaky.

But besides that OC is a thing that i want to learn, I've read reviews about a [email protected] (with watercooling) and 2.6ghz with air cooling. But i can't get it stable so even 2.5ghz won't work right now.

I was running my old E6300 at 3.5Ghz 24/7. Also ran it at 3.6Ghz for about less than a month before my mobo died and at that speed you would need some really good water cooling.

With the right parts 2.6 should be easy. :)

I was running my old E6300 at 3.5Ghz 24/7. Also ran it at 3.6Ghz for about less than a month before my mobo died and at that speed you would need some really good water cooling.

With the right parts 2.6 should be easy. :)

I was at 3.4GHz with my old B2 stepping. 24/7 OC. That was until my P5B-Deluxe died and then I was sent a fault replacement board which killed my E6300..now I have a L2 stepping and I can't seem to get above 450FSB with my Gigabyte P35-DS3R.

@ OP. Don't use the AI over clock thing. Just bump up the FSB. Start by making a jump of 20 FSB at a time, them when its not stable drop it back down to last stable and see by going up in 5's and then adding volts/watching temps. I usually boot into memtest and check my memory on test #5 3 times then reboot into windows and run Super Pi 1m test, PCMark 05, call it stable enough and go push the OC more. I keep repeating this until It fails one of the test then depending on the test I bump either ram, or CPU up a little in volts. Then repeat, until A) Volts get to 1.5v for CPU or 2.4v on ram (with ACTIVE COOLING), or B) I reach my OC goal.

I was at 3.4GHz with my old B2 stepping. 24/7 OC. That was until my P5B-Deluxe died and then I was sent a fault replacement board which killed my E6300..now I have a L2 stepping and I can't seem to get above 450FSB with my Gigabyte P35-DS3R.

Yeah, it was my old P5B-Deluxe/Wifi too. 3.6 is prolly too much for that boards nb and its stock nb cooling.

@ OP: That memory is ddr2-667 right? That might limit you as well. and with 3 sticks you wont be able to run it at dual channel.

even the low end SLI 650i ocs so much better then the NF4's. thats why the jumped so quickly from NF4 to 680's on the intel side. my suggestion though, wait till the end of this month. with the new 780i/790i's coming out the 680's will be going up cheap in the classies here or even retail..

even the low end SLI 650i ocs so much better then the NF4's. thats why the jumped so quickly from NF4 to 680's on the intel side. my suggestion though, wait till the end of this month. with the new 780i/790i's coming out the 680's will be going up cheap in the classies here or even retail..

yeah...there should be some awesome deals in the classies at the end of the month

i recall one in the classies going for $150, yes a 680i evga T1 or A1 board....

Okay, first of all i wanna thank you all for helping me in the right direction.
I've got him stable on 2.1 Ghz (not mutch:p) but its a start.
Specs are:
FSB: 600Mhz (everest) multiplier 3.5x
memspeed: 650
Mem settings: 5-5-5-5-12
Chipset core voltage 1.4v
CPU termination voltage 1.25
Vcore:1.4500V

I think that the Vcore is way to high. Because if i see other people OCing an E6300 its doing 2.6ghz at 1.4250 or something like that.

is this just my limit because of the low quality of my mobo?

Okay, first of all i wanna thank you all for helping me in the right direction.
I've got him stable on 2.1 Ghz (not mutch:p) but its a start.
Specs are:
FSB: 600Mhz (everest) multiplier 3.5x
memspeed: 650
Mem settings: 5-5-5-5-12
Chipset core voltage 1.4v
CPU termination voltage 1.25
Vcore:1.4500V

I think that the Vcore is way to high. Because if i see other people OCing an E6300 its doing 2.6ghz at 1.4250 or something like that.

is this just my limit because of the low quality of my mobo?

that vcore is extremely high.....i have mine set to the lowest my mobo can do (1.225) and its stable at 2.1

How did u get that multi so low??? they can only do 6 or 7 i thought....well thats all mine can do

Back