• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking a pentium 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

punisher2k3

i have a friend who wants to overclock a pentium 3. it is a socket chip. how would he go about doing this??? any pictures, links, or other info. would be great.

punisher2k3

Try using the search feature in these forums. Overclocking is basicly the same thing no matter what you have. Just some parts do it easier and better. Your basicly changing fsb speed and vcore if you have to. Temperature is your biggest enemy try not to let your cpu idle in the 50 C range! Work in small adjustments and take notes of what happend. Dont just up your fsb to 160 all the sudden! start out increasing in small steps and test it out, watch temps.

You might want to post the specs of that processor,ram,mb. If you want real help. You can't get helpful advise without knowing specs. Don't even try to oc it if its a dell or emachine.

Last edited:
do u think he could overclock it, even it was an E-Machine??? i have no idea what kind of motherboard it is. thanks for the help.

punisher2k3

OEM motherboards such as emachines, dell, et al typically lack the settings in BIOS to overclock (you need to be able to adjust the FSB), and the hardware is often of minimal quality (just enough to run as specified and no more), which would likely limit the overclockability.

If the oem hardware is old enough, there might be jumpers on the board to give you some freedom, but I doubt it.

Again, we need specs on the CPU, RAM, and motherboard. - Paul

Back