• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a prescott 3.0e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

waddupmm

Disabled
Hi, been reading through some thereads seems like you guys help eachother out a lot, rite now im running my 3.0 and 3.3 I wanna get it faster any suggestions on how do this, I also have corsair xmx pc3200pro 512 mb, and an aerocool heatsink with a 4800 rpm fan mounted on top, thx in advance

Well

To start we need to know what kind of mobo you have. Set your agp\pci to 66/33. Set your VDimm to 2.7 or 2.8. Then notch up your FSB in 1-2 increases and test for stability. When system becomes unstable, up your Vcore just a tad. You also want to manually set your memory timings. Disable spread spectrum. Watch your cpu temperatures :mad: as you up vcore, you up temperatures. Post back with any questions, also your mobo type.

I got an abit ai7 with latest bios 18 my memory timings at 3-8-3-3 agp pci is 66/33 havnt messed wit that stuff should I? Dont know where spread spectrum is :x

waddupmm
In your bios you will see an option labeled " Spread Spectrum . Disable it

When you raise your FSB sometimes your AGP/PCI will also raise so you need to go back and lowerer it to 66/33 ( or the closest you can get as some boards will only alow you to set it at 67/34 when overclocked)

Before you start overclocking that Prescott what are the specs on your Power supply unit ??
Look for a label on the side and tell us the amps for the +3 , +5 and +12 volt rails

You can do some damage if this unit is not big enough for a prescott

Also as Ranger states you need to watch your temps as prescotts run hot :mad:

See my signature for some tips if this becomes a problem

Becareful and do not go crazy with raising the VCore !

Being a newbee I would not go above 1.5V with a prescott ( post your specs before raising it so we can be sure your system will handle it)

Good Luck and let us know the answers so we can help
Dave

Still cant find the spectrum, but on the side of my psu it says v= +3.3v +5v + 12v, its just some random psu that came wit my case but on my 2.53 i could easly hit 3.1 so :X

God, I jus took off my heatsink, and there was like these green crap all over the copper fins everyone was like caked in it no idea what it is but it wont come off, i just installed stock heatsink and ive seen a 10c drop in temps :X

This cpu just wont overclock, even at temps of 41c it cant it past 3.3ghz no matter what, ive tried adjusting cpu voltage ddr voltage nothing works cant figure this thing out it has to be either my 300watt pos psu or this chip is fuked

waddupmm, With a 300w PSU you might not get far with a Prescott and I would not recommend trying to overclock it any farther than you have got it allready

As I stated before Prescotts are power hogs

You need at least 22amps on the 12V rails

This board has many posts were members have " Blown Up" their "under powered" PSU units trying to overclock a Prescott

If you want to go farther you really need a bigger unit.
The smallest I would purchase is an antec " True Power 430 or 450

"Spread Spectrum" is in your bios setup . On my MSI board it is under " Frequency/Voltage tab. If it is not there on your board check the other tabs as I can assure you that you have it and it is enabled .

If you can't find it tell me what board you have and I will look it up for you .

Once you get a bigger PSU post back and we will help you with the other settings that you will need to get higher than you are now

Dave

i second that

I second that. I had a Antec SmartBlue 350w and it was not cutting it. I upgraded to a Antec Truepower 430w and waa-la. Get a better PS.

Good Luck
Bo

Waddupmn,

I am running my [email protected]. I can actually run it at 4ghz but with v1.565 in order for it to run stable. If you want to oc a Prescott, you would need to get a nice Power Supply and I highly recommend OCZ 520 because it's rock solid. see my sig for 3.0E detail

~joy

Ill try running my divider at 5:4 when i get my new psu cause ill have to oc quit a bit to get it to even run at default speed

Jus cashed my check and going to get my new psu, but 1 quik question what is cpu throttling should it be at .50?

but 1 quik question what is cpu throttling should it be at .50?

waddupmm, This is a tough question as the prescott employs "Dynamic VID that sometimes is confused with " throttling"

In a nutshell , Intel chose Dynamic Vid in an effort to try and control the heat. Without getting to technical what it does is vary the Vcore up or down according to load . you can read more about it here

Dynamic VID explained

This is why it is so important to be conservative when raising your Vcore with a Prescott . MSI chose to lock the vcore down in some of their boards because of this feature

Prescott Dangerous Tweeks

Dave

Got my new 500 watt psu, tried to oc my cpu to 900fsb not stable at all.. Guess its just as far as my ram could go but I thought I would be able to get a little farther since i spent 150 bucks but im running at 3.6 ghz with a 5:4 ratio ram is only runnin at 394 mhz 6mhz under default speed, had to bump my vcore up 2 notches to be stable, gettin a temp of 47c which isnt to bad I suppose, i guess ill have to get rid of this stock heatsink get a better one, ill try and see how far I can get it to go without blowing my comp up :)

Back