• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a prescott 3.0e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I wouldnt call it stable it boots windows with it but when I run prime 95 I get these damn errors sayings its 0.5 expected 0.4 or somethings like that, and its kinda strange when I overclock comp seems slower to me not faster

gettin a temp of 47c which isnt to bad I suppose,
Is this at idle or under a load?
i guess ill have to get rid of this stock heatsink get a better one,
Dont waste your money . Check out the link in my signature as it is my case .It does not matter what kind of heatsink ( using air) you have , if you don't feed it cool air you will not see any changes
A prime example of this is my system . When I first installed my prescott I had idle temps of 60C and load temps of 70c
I added the duct mod described in the link and my temps dropped like a rock using my stock HSF unit that came with the chip!
Inseach of even lower temps I purchased an SP-94 and a 92 MM panflow and did not absolutely no diffence in temps
My point is like I said above , if you feed the stock unit cool air and are not going crazy with your Vcore then you should be fine

Well I wouldnt call it stable it boots windows with it but when I run prime 95 I get these damn errors sayings its 0.5 expected 0.4 or somethings like that, and its kinda strange when I overclock comp seems slower to me not faster

It probably is running slower as Dynamic VID might be kicking in

Were you able to find the "Spread Spectrum' setting in your bios and disable it yet?

Do you have performance settings ?? IE turbo, Fast, Slow???

Do you have your memory set to 2.8V?

If so back down the FSB in small steps until it runs stable

Dave

Yep got my memory set to 2.8v, no I am almost positive my bios doesnt have a spread spectrum Ive looked everywhere, and it runs stable when its idle doesnt restart or anythings its just when I goto to do a torture test with prime95 it wont even start I jus get that error then temps vary from 45-47 and idle, No I have my settings on auto not turbo, f1 or none of that crap, and 1 more thing I dont know if this is a big deal or not but my cpu-z doesnt have performance mode enabled for my ram, or show my cpu voltage.

I experienced similar effect

Edit: I didn't read that last sentence of your post about cpu-z not showing your vcore, I'm stumped. :bang head I'd get that corrected before doing anything else.

I've had the same error in prime95 and I found that by rasing the vcore by .125 did the job, but I want to caution you before doing this, do everything else that you can and make sure your temps are not to high. Personally I think an idle over around 42 degress is too high. Heat is your worst enemy. :mad:

I got a vcore 1.525 cpu running at 1000fsb 3.75 ghz ram runnin at 200mhz with a 5:4 ratio, lets just see how it runs when my house heats up 2morrow afternoon

Changed settings seeing as heat had a great effect upon the cpu, im now running at 3.56 ghz ram is runnin at 270mhz (pc3200) and the reason cpu-z doesnt show my cpus voltage or brand ids is because my motherboard doesnt support 3rd party applications like that =/ but I guess a 500mhz overclock is still good with stock cooling

Seems like most people get there [email protected] 240fsb on air cooling without any voltmods including me.
Memory performance mode only works when you run 1:1 as your using the 5:4 it gets disabled.
It may be worth loosening your memory timings and seing how high you can go 1:1

Well I have to adjust my voltage to get to 3.5 Ive tried so many differant settings to get to 3.6 I have to put my voltage way up, but im running at 1.43 volts at 3.5 and I've tried all the way up to like 1.56 without noticing a differance, and I took off the 5:4 divider and my pc3200 is running 234 mhz and I know the memory isnt bad cause I let memtest86 go for a few hours and had 56 passes with 0 errors, I have my timings at 3-8-3-3 any suggestions?

And I cant boot windows with default voltages at 3.5 ghz it just wont prime 95 without giving me some dam error talking about 0.5 expected less than 0.4

Back