• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD Athlon II x2 270

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dazza216

Registered
Hi everyone! New to the forum! :)

I was wondering about overclocking my athlon II x2 270. I'ts the best processor I can put in my mobo and I can't afford to start a new build at the moment, so I thought that I should try and squeeze as much extra juice outta that athlon as I can. I have a few questions to ask:

1. I have a mobo that doesn't have overclocking features in the BIOS so it's software or nothing. So what would be the best overclocking software for an nvidia chipset? (I've tried nTune btw)

2. What would be safe temps for the CPU (I've heard of maximums of from 65c to 75c). What is it really?

3. How long should I stress test the cpu for using Prime95?

I'm using the stock cooler so I won't be aiming too high. :(
Just to add that, even though I'm new to the website, I know a fair bit about OC'ing and how to do it safely.

All answers will be appreciated.
Thanks. :D

Overclocking software works by hooking into the overclocking controls that are in bios. If there are none in bios there is nothing for the software to hook into.

What is the make and model of the motherboard? If you will download and run "CPU-z" and look in the "Motherboard" tab it will tell you what is the make and model.

Is this a custom built PC or a "box store" computer like HP, Gateway or Dell?

Your best shot is to look at the board itself, find the PLL IC and use Clockgen/SetFSB/FSBCPU if you can find a match. Chances are you won't but it's worth a try.

The PLL will likely be a rectangular chip with what looks like a small silver good and plenty next to it.

And even if you manage to get a match on the PLL, you'll still have no way to control any voltage.

My motherboard is an MSI-K9N6PGM2-V.

Just to point out that I do know all about PLL's and everything mentioned in this thread. I'm not a noob y'know :cool:

What would you all say is the max stable temperature for the CPU

55-60c core/package temps when it is overclocked to it's max potential on air. Even with the stock cooler those are pretty easy to get to about 3.8 ghz.

Don't say all answers appreciated then get all douchy when we give you answers you don't like.
I'm sorry opty, maybe you picked me up wrong. I wasn't trying to be 'all douchy' I was actually trying to be friendly and I have listened to everyone's answers thank you very much. I know how difficult this may be to oc and I will listen to your advice.

Well if Nvidia System Tools will not do the job then it is getting very close to the end of the overclocking Idea it seems. Luck with NSTs.
RGone...

Back