• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD CPU Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AkiraArashi

Registered
I'm a total newbie at this whole overclocking thing. I'm trying to overclock my CPU, but am having trouble doing so. I can't really find anything useful that I can comprehend, but I will lay down my specs. I want to overclock my CPU from 3.3ghz to 4.5ghz.

---------Specs-------
>Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0
>CPU: AMD FX8370e Black Edition 3.3ghz
>RAM: EVGA Super Clocked 2x4 8GB DDR3 1600mhz
>CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 Evo
>PSU: Corsair CX750M
>GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX760 2gb GDDR5 OC
>Case: Corsair Carbide Series Spec-02
>Links to Pictures Of BIOS:https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0F2659crbI4Qm9IRWxtaXVWQjg&usp=sharing

If you need more info I can post more info.

Last edited:
First, that motherboard is not going to be up to your overclocking goals. The VRM section (Voltage Regulation Module) is just too weak to be of use in overclocking an eight core FX CPU. That might be a lot of the reason you are having trouble.

Second, the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo will only giving enough cooling power to get a very modest overclock. Once you start to raise frequencies and voltages in the overclocking process the power draw and heat produced begin to zoom.

Third, the PSU is not a reliable brand and I would not trust it. If it goes bad it could wipe out other expensive components such as RAM and motherboard.

What video card are you running and what is the make and model of your case?

Have almost the same mobo/cooler combo on wife's PC and the highest I was able to push my 8370 was 4.4ghz and that was borderline ~60c CPU and very very hot VRM's. If you're not planning on upgrading I suggest sticking with the highest speed you can put out with stock voltage, 1.2v if memory serves should net you 4ghz/4.2ghz.

Wow.. diablotek... get a new PSU sooner than later. Scary.

Also, there is a bulldozer overclocking guide.. check that out too so you have some background for these guys trying to assist.

Wow.. diablotek... get a new PSU sooner than later. Scary.

Also, there is a bulldozer overclocking guide.. check that out too so you have some background for these guys trying to assist.

I got to witness a Diablotek catch fire once...it would have been awesome, if it wasn't on my floor. I was going to diagnose a friend's "new build".

First, that motherboard is not going to be up to your overclocking goals. The VRM section (Voltage Regulation Module) is just too weak to be of use in overclocking an eight core FX CPU. That might be a lot of the reason you are having trouble.

Second, the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo will only giving enough cooling power to get a very modest overclock. Once you start to raise frequencies and voltages in the overclocking process the power draw and heat produced begin to zoom.

Third, the PSU is not a reliable brand and I would not trust it. If it goes bad it could wipe out other expensive components such as RAM and motherboard.

What video card are you running and what is the make and model of your case?
I am running an GPU: MSI GTX760 Twinfrozr 2GB OC and the case is a Corsair Carbide series spec-02 mid tower.

Hasn't caught fire yet, but did have to Jerry rig a new fan that uses the mobo fan header.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still want to overclock I can get the psu in 2 mouths. Just want to overclock to 4.2 ghz. Do you have any links?, and my brother can give me his Corsair CX750M 80Plus Bronze.

There's a link to the FX OC thread in my sig. Have a read

I still want to overclock I can get the psu in 2 mouths. Just want to overclock to 4.2 ghz. Do you have any links?, and my brother can give me his Corsair CX750M 80Plus Bronze.

That corsair would serve you much better, and i would advise you to get a small fan to put on top of the VRM's :)

That corsair would serve you much better, and i would advise you to get a small fan to put on top of the VRM's :)
What if I want to OC with a Mini ITX. Do you know any good mobo's that would allow me to?

Short answer is NO. There aren't any "good" mATX/ITX boards for an 8 core FX

mATX/ITX boards just don't have enough PCB real estate to fit the extra electronic components on board that spread out the work load. Spreading out the workload among more members helps keep any one of them from getting too hot.

Last edited:
My bios is totally different from what this guide is telling me. I'm a total newbie to this whole thing.

Maybe this Pdf will be more helpful, it's from AMD and on an Asus motherboard. Though, learn to overclock in the BIOS ie don't use AMD overdrive, it's a good tool but learn the BIOS first. Also for stability testing do not use Overdrive, use Prime 95, Occt, or Aida 64.

Back