• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking An Athlon II Quad 635

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jls7884

Hello, I am new to the forums. I know quite a bit about computers in general but as far as OC goes I have no idea. I am interested in overclocking an Athlon II quad 635 2.9GHz Processor. I just need advice on the best way I would go about doing this and if anyone has any idea on how high I might be able to OC.

System specs:

Antec 900 Case
Corsair TX750W PSU
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Motherboard
Athlon II Quad 635 Processor
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition GPU
Creative X-Fi Elite Pro Sound Card
OCZ Vertex 60GB and G Skill Falcon 64GB SSD's in RAID 0
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500GB HDD for data storage.

Cooling Solution:

Antec TriCool:
200mm top exhaust fan, 120mm rear exhaust fan, 2x 120 mm front intake fans, side window with mesh grill and 120mm intake fan. All running on the lowest speed setting mainly for quietness.

CPU Cooler:
Thermaltake Bigwater 760 i with primoflex UV blue tubing and Thermaltake CL-W0148 coolant.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jacob

To get prepared to monitor, stress test and communicate with those helping you about bios settings it would be necessary to download and install these three programs: CPU-z, HWMonitor (non-pro version) and Prime95. Another great help to the helpers is if you would take a digital camera and snap some pictures of your bios screens, especially the overclocking control sections where frequencies and voltages are found. Take things off of "Auto" first so the manual choices are visible.

To attach images with your posts, first crop and save them with something like Snipping Tool (Windows Accessories). Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window pops up, click on the little paperclip tool at the top in the tool section. That will load the file browser/upload tool and the rest will be obvious.

Welcome, dude!

Is AMD Overdrive accurate? I did a stress test for 48 hours after I first set up the liquid cooling and my temps were no higher than 25 Degrees C. To elaborate a little when I said no idea I meant that I have never overclocked before. I know how to do it though. I will attach some pics pretty soon.

Is AMD Overdrive accurate? I did a stress test for 48 hours after I first set up the liquid cooling and my temps were no higher than 25 Degrees C. To elaborate a little when I said no idea I meant that I have never overclocked before. I know how to do it though. I will attach some pics pretty soon.

Not particularly. It's pretty buggy and often misreports voltages and frequencies, especially when you begin to take things off of stock settings. We do not recommend using it for serious overclocking. What we are here to do is to help folks learn to overclock the right way rather than the lazy way, meaning with software cheats. Hope you don't take offense at that. I think you will get much more satisfaction by learning the bios than by having some program manipulate things mysteriously.

No offense taken and I agree. Learning to do things right the first time will benefit more in the end. I have used Speedfan before because I had a stock heatsink that was very loud and now I know I wont ever do that again. My CPU temps went up to about 100 Degrees C. That's when I decided to upgrade to a liquid CPU cooler. BTW I don't see the attachment button. The only thing similar that I see is insert image which needs a URL.

Make sure you crop and save the images to disk, using Snipping Tool or something similar. Look at the bottom of any new post window and click on Go Advanced which will load the advanced post window. Find the paperclip tool at the top and click on it. That will load the file browser/uplink window and you must choose a file or files from disk and then click on upload.

Attachments

• GoAdvanced.PNG
    GoAdvanced.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 69
  • paperclip.PNG
    paperclip.PNG
    29.5 KB · Views: 69
  • File.PNG
    File.PNG
    40.7 KB · Views: 67
Back