• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roguebantha

Registered
Hey, I'm attempting to restore the ability to overclock my graphics card.

Yes, restore.

Originally, I could do it just fine with MSI Afterburner, as long as I had GPU-Z open when I started MSI Afterburner (don't ask me why, I don't know). I tested, it was working, and all was well. However, recently, I've found that I can no longer do so. While everything initially looks set up for when I apply the clock speed offset I choose, actually clicking apply resets all sliders back down to +0 and no changes are made to the clock speed (verified with GPU-Z). I attempted to use Precision X with the exact same results. However, after uninstalling and reinstalling both MSI AB and Precision several times, Precision has shown the odd symptom of crashing on startup if GPU-Z is open at all, and if it's closed, there are no numbers whatsoever next to any sliders. It's not that the sliders are greyed out. I can still make changes in the window (although no changes actually are applied), and the text inputs are still there, they just show no numbers until I enter them and they don't change anything at all. It still reports the correct clock speed and temperature though. I thought it might be a power plan setting or a Geforce Experience or Nvidia Control Panel issue, however, I have reset all Power plans to default, and have browsed through everything I know, with no results. This has lasted for the past 4-something driver updates too, so if it is the driver, it's a lasting bug or a *gasp* removed feature.

Any ideas?

System:
Intel Core i7-4510U
Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M
16 GB of RAM

Did you update to the latest driver recently? The latest nvidia driver borked mobile gpu overclocking. ;)

Aha, yes EarthDog, I am currently on the latest driver. However, I have been having these problems for the past several driver updates so I'm not entirely convinced that the driver is the culprit here; otherwise seems most likely though!

Back