• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking and heat problems with p5qd turbo and e8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loolmachine

v.php
BTW: If these pics dont open, right click and open in an new window!
v.php

v.php

v.php
redduc900 i dont know how to make pics visible in this post so do it to this also thank you! =D. I was too lazy to go get that information to that template yet. Oh and you mean i put the settings which i was able to play 4ghz before this day?

With that kind of setup i get idle cores 56 and 50 c.
When i put prime on temperature goes instantly to over 65 and in 5 minutes it gone 73c so i closed prime. I never had temps this high with that setup BEFORE i messed up with nb voltage today. I tried to set it to 1.36 but computer didnt go on so i set it back to auto. Then these heat problems came. Earlier the temperatures didn't go higher than 69c(prime on for over one hour and core voltage was always 1.3v, before this day), which is also kinda high but ive played always like that. In that picture the voltage is 1.2625. as i earlier said, temps never went past 69c and at that time the Vcore was 1.3! So now even though i dropped the voltage from 1.3 to 1.625 temps just rise higher. Ive had my mobo changed because it had some noise problem, it was p5k. Now i have this asus p5qd turbo. I googled the nb voltage and i found out that it could go over 1.5v and i did 1.36 so i think the mobo didnt broke.

Now i set bios settings to default and idle temps are for cores 44, 37 c. With prime i got max temps 58, 52 c. I wonder if those temps are too high for default (auto corevoltage, 333fsb etc, u know)?

I got antec p182b case and five 120mm fans inside there. Three stock fans with medium speed. One akasa fan within the top of the case which has more rpm than the antecs when they are on medium speed and at the back i have a fan which has optimized thermal control setting @ 25C~55C. Cpu cooler also has one of those but its 80mm. They are enermax apollish fans. As cpu cooler i have ninja mini. Also, one of the fans is placed under the dvd, where there are those removable plates for more dvd/cd stations. i did cut some tights as a dust filter into that fan , could it radically make for air harder to get in? The piece from tights was kinda small so i had to stretch it so it should have holes for air big enough.

I thought that reason might be when the mobo was changed by the company where i bought this computer, placed the cpu cooler bad or something. I tried to move it but it stays there nicely.

Now to the overclocking problem.
If anyone has a good guide which i could read link it, for p5qd turbo. I am not too sure what setting to keep on ,disabled and enabled etc. I wish u could check those pics i linked and tell me what is wrong etc. I got my computer stable in 4ghz with 1.2625v and 1.3v Core voltage so i think i still could go to like 4.2-4.5ghz? I have corsair dominator 1066 ddr2 ram with 2.1v recommended label on the ram.

If you read this and didn't get all the information you would have wanted just tell me and i will give it to you. Also i apologize if i had many grammar mistakes and you didnt understand my english at some parts. English is not my mother tongue.

EDIT AGAIN: I think everything is just fine. I read some forums and found out so many guys who had over 1.3vcore with E8400@4ghz, and many who have fairly over 1.2vcore @3.6ghz. If i can get 3960 with 1.23125vcore, i am happy. I am just confused that if i wanted to raise the 3960 to 4005 (raising fsb from 440 to 445), it would reguire voltage raise from 1.23125 to 1.2625.

Main points:
question 1. What happened to the heat , why it went up? any solutions?
question 2. Whats wrong with my overclocking? why cant i go higher than that?

Last edited:
I've uploaded your BIOS pic's to the forum's server so folk's don't have to right click--> Open Link in New Window, then wait for the images to load. There are a number of BIOS settings available that don't show up in the pic's you linked to, so if you're inclined fill out this template for the P5Q-D w/ all of your current Prime stable settings (just disregard the current settings in the template, and replace w/ your own)...
Code:
JumperFree Configuration Settings:

AI Overclock tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 8
FSB Strap to North Bridge: 333
FSB Frequency: 500
PCI-E Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: 1000Mhz
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2: AUTO
DRAM Timing Control: Manual

1st Information :

CAS# Latency: 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15
RAS# to RAS# Delay : AUTO
Row Refresh Cycle Time: 55
Write Recovery Time: AUTO
Read to Precharge Time: AUTO

2nd Information :

READ to WRITE Delay (S/D): AUTO
Write to Read Delay (S): AUTO
WRITE to READ Delay (D): AUTO
READ to READ Delay (S): AUTO
READ to READ Delay (D): AUTO
WRITE to WRITE Delay (S): AUTO
WRITE to WRITE Delay (D): AUTO

3rd Information :

WRITE to PRE Delay: AUTO
READ to PRE Delay: AUTO
PRE to PRE Delay: AUTO
ALL PRE to ACT Delay: AUTO
ALL PRE to REF Delay: AUTO
DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
DRAM Read Training: Disabled
MEM. OC Charger: Enabled
AI Clock Twister: Lighter
AI Transaction Booster: Manual
Common Performance Level [10]
Pull-In of CHA PH1: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHA PH2: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHA PH3: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHA PH4: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH1: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH2: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH3: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH4: DISABLED

CPU Voltage: 1.40000
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): AUTO
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (1/3): AUTO
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.58
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.32
DRAM Voltage: 2.04
NB Voltage: 1.32
NB GTL Reference: AUTO
SBridge Voltage: 1.20
PCIE SATA Voltage: 1.60

Load Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Clock Skew : Auto
NB Clock Skew : Auto

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: 8
CPU VID: Default
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disabled
Vanderpool Technology: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled

Also post the VID and stepping of your chip. The VID can be found by opening Real Temp to the Settings page, and the stepping can be located by opening CPU-Z to the CPU tab. Also post pic's w/ CPU-Z open to the Memory and SPD tabs.

Attachments

• 6139554.jpg
    6139554.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2,713
  • 6139563.jpg
    6139563.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2,638
  • 6139573.jpg
    6139573.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,505
EDIT: OK, dram timing control on auto or manual, doesnt matter, comp works just fine. But when i set ai transaction booster on MANUAL computer doesnt go on. Could this be the problem in my overclocking? On what does this setting affect to? RAM or cpu?

So i think i solved the heat issue, but overclocking issue is still on. I figured something out that the problem might be in. When i set AI transaction booster and DRAM timing control from AUTO to MANUAL, i get message when i turn comp on ''overclocking failure''. So i assume there is some problem in those settings. Here is the code:

JumperFree Configuration Settings:

AI Overclock tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: auto (9)
FSB Strap to North Bridge: auto
FSB Frequency: 440
PCI-E Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: ddr2-1057mhz
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2: AUTO
DRAM Timing Control: Manual

1st Information :

CAS# Latency: 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15
RAS# to RAS# Delay : AUTO
Row Refresh Cycle Time: AUTO
Write Recovery Time: AUTO
Read to Precharge Time: AUTO

2nd Information :

READ to WRITE Delay (S/D): AUTO
Write to Read Delay (S): AUTO
WRITE to READ Delay (D): AUTO
READ to READ Delay (S): AUTO
READ to READ Delay (D): AUTO
WRITE to WRITE Delay (S): AUTO
WRITE to WRITE Delay (D): AUTO

3rd Information :

WRITE to PRE Delay: AUTO
READ to PRE Delay: AUTO
PRE to PRE Delay: AUTO
ALL PRE to ACT Delay: AUTO
ALL PRE to REF Delay: AUTO
DRAM Static Read Control: AUTO
DRAM Read Training: AUTO
MEM. OC Charger: Enabled
AI Clock Twister: Lighter
AI Transaction Booster: Manual
Common Performance Level [05]
Pull-In of CHA PH1: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHA PH2: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHA PH3: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHA PH4: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH1: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH2: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH3: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH4: DISABLED

CPU Voltage: 1.23125
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): AUTO
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (1/3): AUTO
CPU PLL Voltage: AUTO
FSB Termination Voltage: AUTO
DRAM Voltage: 2.16
NB Voltage: AUTO (1.22 it shows)
NB GTL Reference: AUTO
SBridge Voltage: AUTO
PCIE SATA Voltage: AUTO

Load Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Clock Skew : Auto
NB Clock Skew : Auto

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: AUTO (9)
C1E Suppport: Enabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Intel(R) C-STATE Tech: Disabled
Intel(R) Speedstep(TM) Tech: Disabled

So as you can see there AI transaction and DRAM timing control are on manual, but while on manual computer didnt go on. On auto works just fine.

So when those two are set on auto, i have a stable computer according to prime95 and games. Whats wrong in those settings? I also added and removed some that there were not and i didnt have on my bios.
Oh and i get 66 60c max for core temps.

EDIT: So i get a stable computer with 440 fsb and 1.23vcore. I also get stable computer at 446 fsb when i have 1.2625vcore?! Is it normal that that when i go ONLY 6FSB up i have to raise cvore that much?? i think if i would want it to work as 455, i would have to go over 1.3vcore.. Please help :s

Last edited:
Back