• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking "ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, Socket-AM3+"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Asus cpu support page shows.

FX-4100(FD4100WMW4KGU),3.6GHz,4C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+ ALL

FX-4170(FD4170FRW4KGU),4.2GHz,4C,125W,rev.B2G,AM3+ ALL

FX-6100(FD6100WMW6KGU),3.3GHz,6C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+ ALL

FX-6200(FD6200FRW6KGU),3.8GHz,6C,125W,rev.B2G,AM3+ ALL

FX-8100(FD8100WMW8KGU),2.8GHz,8C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+ ALL

FX-8120(FD8120FRW8KGU),3.1GHz,8C,125W,rev.B2G,AM3+ ALL

FX-8120(FD8120WMW8KGU),3.1GHz,8C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+ ALL

FX-8150(FD8150FRW8KGU),3.6GHz,8C,125W,rev.B2G,AM3+ ALL

Judging from what RGone reports from the CPU compatibility list, the motherboard apparently has a TDP of 125w and the FX-6100 is a 95W chip so you have a little room for some overclocking but I would be careful not to push it too far.

Thanks for the answers guys, i was thinking about overclocking it to 4.5ghz as a start, what should i set the voltages to?

On the specifications tab on the Asus website it says it supports CPUs up to 140w.

Yes, I looked there but missed it the first time. It doesn't have sinks on the mosfets, however so some restraint is still in order.

Thanks for the answers guys, i was thinking about overclocking it to 4.5ghz as a start, what should i set the voltages to?

I would not add any votage to start with. I would see how far you can take it on stock voltage. Increase the multiplier .5x at time and after each increase run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. Have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor core and CPU temps during each test. Repeat that until you fail the 20 minute Prime95 test and then add an increment of vcore.

I would not add any votage to start with. I would see how far you can take it on stock voltage. Increase the multiplier .5x at time and after each increase run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. Have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor core and CPU temps during each test. Repeat that until you fail the 20 minute Prime95 test and then add an increment of vcore.

Thanks, you really seem like you know what you're talking about :)

Good and safe overclocking is done slowly and in small increments so that trouble can be spotted before it's too late. A lot of guys just want quick and dirty plug and play values and don't want to take the trouble to learn the discipline of overclocking. There is also the fact that every combination of components is different and will respond differently to the same values entered into bios. That's why it's truly a "system".

Temps are a real key. You want to prevent you "core" temps from exceeding about 55c and your CPU temps from exceeding about 65c.

Also, in bios disable Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E and C6. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. That should disable all the green, power saving stuff that messes with overclocking.

Hi I have a ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, Socket-AM3+ motherboard, With the AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8. I would like to attempt to overclock, I believe TDP is 140, I have the Prime Program aswell as cpu-z and HW monitor but is there a way to overclock in windows 7 rather than going into bios?

Thanks

I'm running a M5A78L-M/USB3 board with an AMD 4170 4.2Ghz cpu with an aftermarket CPU fan with the default settings on the motherboard and I've run OCCT tests and it seems that my board is trying to overclock the CPU at 0.5% which causes it to overheat and drop the voltage way down from 1.4 to under 1.0. Is there a way to turn this auto overclocking off in the BIOS screen? I can't find it, except for the overclock screen which wants me to manually set a bunch of values for voltages and clocks and stuff that I don't want to mess with.

lokiare resurredting old threads does the poster little good most of the time.

A year ago dsh2010 jumped into some other user's again thread and got no answer. If you need help you should begin your own thread with all the specifications of your configuration and how you are using the system and what bios settings you are using so that one might try and help.

Its ok, I figured it out anyway. You just have to turn off the 'turbo' option and it quits trying to overclock it.

I joined just to post, I have this motherboard.

the last thing Id want to overclock is this motherboard, it has 4 phases on the cpu, no vrm heatsinks, asus dodgy-digi vrms where its thermally protected at a low temp and a 4 pin power connector.

I bought it as a quick thing to get a rig together, I spent a month or 2 learning about vrms etc. timed how long it takes to throttle, measured the vcore fluctuations, heat etc. modded the vrms etc

well with an fx4100 it throttles at full load, average speed is 3.3ghz instead of 3.6ghz.

any sort of overclock will seem stable (5ghz plus) but actually itll be 3.3 or less with 1 core at said speed. average time to throttle 7 seconds

my advice, new motherboard whenever I see someone with it.

(oh I may have joined also because theres a lot of benching, Fx chips and someone that I beat In benches lol)

Back