• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking cannot achieve higher clocks, but components are water cooled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueSubmarine

Hey, im an computer enthusiast and tried air cooling, closed loop and custom watercooling over time, cause i like to push hardware to its limits. I bought CPUs from siliconlottery.com cause i can clock them higher. But there was not really a difference between 600 dollar custom water loop and high end air cooler. At the moment i have an intel core [email protected] Ghz (1.375V). The best clock u can buy this CPU is 5.2 Ghz, but i saw videos where people get the CPU over 7 Ghz with ln2 cooling. I put an water block on my nvidia graphics card and the temps get down 20-30 degrees celsius but i could not clock the card higher. Why is it possible to get crazy clocks with ln2 like 2531MHz on a GTX 1080 Ti? Its not just the temperature right?

If you're seeing 2500 mhz on a GTX 10 series card, it's likely a hardware voltage mod which increased the vcore substantially. It's a physical mod that requires some very basic electronics engineering knowledge and it would void your warranty for sure. You're not going to get above 2100 Mhz without bypassing Nvidia's 1.09v limit, no matter how cool you get the GPU to. Many GPUs cant even get over 2000 Mhz. with stock cooling.

They used a normal EVGA 1080 Ti Kingpin without a voltage mod. It was done in this video:
The final clocks are down in the description.

You're not going to get above 2100 Mhz without bypassing Nvidia's 1.09v limit, no matter how cool you get the GPU to. Many GPUs cant even get over 2000 Mhz. with stock cooling.

My card has never once seen over 40c, it mostly sits between 32-34c under load. The only reason I cant go higher is due to voltage, I hit the built in limit every time.

Voltage and power limit play a part for sure but Tír na nÓg is correct starting with Maxwell temperature is a very big factor. On my recently deceased 980Ti even running a chilled water loop at -20°C I saw minimal (50MHz) gains over my air cooler but using LN2 which hits -180°C I could get another 100MHz so ~200 over stock without raising the voltage at all.

AKA water doesn't make hardly a difference in clocking at the same voltage. Just a bit more headroom for adding voltage.

In my case water helped nothing (well, maybe an extra 20MHz, not even sure)... And temps stay@40c max, with 1.15v.

I'm lucky I can even get 2100 with my 1070. Max voltage wall is 1.093v. Can't get pass that voltage wall without a hardmod and that's not gonna help. Kingpin cards are specifically made to achieve those clocks over the "standard" every day cards.

No custom bios for the 1070 with higher voltage/power limit?

Nahh. Been looking since the 1070 release. No luv for me and my 1070 :-/ On the bright side It does get 2100 with voltage maxed, but I rock it on 2k for everyday use/games, so it isn't a loss. And it stays @ 60c during heavy gaming with the honking boat anchor sink it has, lol.

Can you even edit Pascal BIOS'?

Nope. No Pascal Bios editor. The person that created the Polaris bios editor stated he would not create a Pascal bios editor. Dunno why :shrug:

Still waiting to see if he changes his mind or someone else would do it. Guess by this point it ain't gonna happen.

They used a normal EVGA 1080 Ti Kingpin without a voltage mod. It was done in this video:
The final clocks are down in the description.

The Kingpin cards are made for sub ambient cooling and as Tír na nÓg stated are not voltage limited to a point. I've had my 980 Kingpin up to 1.5v on Dry Ice with no additional mods.

This is where I jump in and say I've hit 2265 MHz on my 1070, on air. It wasn't real happy but it got through Heaven. I found my biggest gains in OCing the vram on this card. The GPU is apparently "fast enough" for modern games, but bumping the vram gave me a pretty decent performance bump.

This is where I jump in and say I've hit 2265 MHz on my 1070, on air. It wasn't real happy but it got through Heaven. I found my biggest gains in OCing the vram on this card. The GPU is apparently "fast enough" for modern games, but bumping the vram gave me a pretty decent performance bump.

Thus is why I got my vram to +500 :D

Thus is why I got my vram to +500 :D

:thup:
It seems a lot of the focus is on clock speeds and I hardly see anything regarding abusing the vram. Pascal's GPU speeds seem to be able to handle anything the rest of the card throws at it. While Vega was a bit of a disappointment to the gaming community, I wonder what a Pascal card could do with the HBM or HBM2. That could be one monster of a graphics card.

:thup:
It seems a lot of the focus is on clock speeds and I hardly see anything regarding abusing the vram. Pascal's GPU speeds seem to be able to handle anything the rest of the card throws at it. While Vega was a bit of a disappointment to the gaming community, I wonder what a Pascal card could do with the HBM or HBM2. That could be one monster of a graphics card.

Hell yeah. I remember thinking before the Pascals came out, that one of them would have either HBM or HBM2. That would've been a beast for sure! I was also wondering why they didn't.

I think it was expense and/or availability. They managed to crush their Red Rival on the high end without it, and Nvidia seems to put out just enough and hold as much as possible in reserve. Vega? Introducing the 1070 Ti. RX 480? Nice! Introducing the GTX 1070. LOL

Memory bandwidth really doesnt matter much until higher resolutions. Gddrx5 comes close to rx64 bandwidth iirc....

Back