• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking causing unstability/system freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h4xz

Hello,

So firstly my specs:

MOBO: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
CPU: I5 6600K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 (MSI Geforce) 8GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz DDR4 16GB
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Liquid Cooler
PSU: Corsair CS750M 80+ Gold
HDD: 2 x 2TB Barracuda 7200rpm + 240GB SSD

Now onto the problem if I overclock my CPU by any amount I seem to get full system freezing whilst playing games, don't get me wrong the system can handle all the games I throw at it at normal settings but if I overclock it it just fails, full system freeze no input what so ever and forces me to use the power button for a full reboot, any ideas to what the issue could be ? There isn't any error logs or even error dumps due to the system completely freezing up and forcing me to reboot, to me it just looks like instability due to the 25% cpu overclock, gpu is not overclocked.

Did you add any voltage when you overclocked 25%? You will need to add some voltage. Can you please post screenshot of cpuz...the first tab, mainboard, memory, and spd tabs, please.

Did you add any voltage when you overclocked 25%? You will need to add some voltage. Can you please post screenshot of cpuz...the first tab, mainboard, memory, and spd tabs, please.

I didn't add anything I used the Asus EZ Tune to do the overclock, the information you requested is below.

cpu.jpg

mainboard.jpg

memory.jpg

spd.jpg

Ditch the software. Overclock manually. Set voltage to 1.35V and push up on the cpu multiplier until it freezes, lower it a notch or two and stress test for stability.

Also, you bought 3000mhz ram but have it running at 2400 mhz. After you find a stable cpu speed, enable xmp profile in the bios to have your ram running where it should.

Thanks for the tip EarthDog I'll let you know how I get on, it wasn't software it's the tool in the bios I used to overclock, I read somewhere software for overclocking is a no no ?

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Stick to manual. The goal is to have the least amount of voltage needed for stability at whatever clockspeed you land on. Keep voltage around 1.4V and temps under 90C while stress testing.

You should probably be okay with that AIO water cooler but nonetheless you should check temps while stress testing, especially after jacking up the vcore to 1.35 volts. That's a safe amount as long as you temps are okay but it will run hotter than at stock. Down load and install HWMonitor. Have it open on the desktop while you stress test for say 4 hours with the Realbench CPU stress test and at least 5 hr. with AIDA64 Extreme. AIDA has a built-in temp monitor but Realbench does not.

Back