• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking does not improve performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yoshidk

Hello

My first time overclocking, but for some reason it dosnt improve anything :S

I overclocked my AMD Radeon HD 5770 and ran "FurMark" and "Heaven Benchmark 4.0"
But increasing the GPU 850 to 950, and Memory clock from 1200 og 1400 didnt improve my fps or score in any of these Benchmarks

I even tried downclocking to 650 and received the exact same score..

I did the overclocked first by AMD OverDrive (And i DID mark the "activate box) and later tried overclocking with "ASUS GPU Tweak"

My CPU never goes above 30% load, so i dont think thats a bottle neck..

Why dosnt overclocking improve performance?

GPU.PNG

Other specs:
Windows 8.1 Pro N
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, (3701 Mhz)
Monitor1 (main): Dell 24" UltraSharp U2412M Black - IPS
Monitor2: SAMSUNG SuncMaster SA350

How are the temps? Reason being is when it starts to overheat, the GPU will start to throttle back hindering performance scores. Also try using just one program to overclock your card.

You can also try MSI AfterBurner .

How are the temps? Reason being is when it starts to overheat, the GPU will start to throttle back hindering performance scores. Also try using just one program to overclock your card.

You can also try MSI AfterBurner .

Temperature is fine,
42*C idle and a maximum of 55*C, so this cant be the problem

I was using just one program, after i had no success AMD (which was the only program installed at that time) i switched to ASUS GPU Tweak and used this only.. Also i can see the "actual clock" change in GPU-Z a few seconds after i "Apply" the changes

Hmm, so if temps are fine and it does show the clocks change but you don't see any benifits then I'm afraid your card isn't a clocker. You're forced to use it as-is or get an upgrade. Pretty much sums it up.

lets not give up just yet.
the 5770 is an older card, lets try two other overclocking softwares.
don't just turn off amd, aod, remove it, you'll be better off without it any way.
then try the asus gpu tweek again, if that fails, remove it.
try sapphire trix, if that fails, remove it.
then try msi afterburner.

heat is not a good way of checking if your card is clocked, my asus 7850 folding at 1000, clocked up from 860 does not warm at all and runs the exact same fan speeds.

you might also try back dating the driver to 13.9, the oldest i see listed for your card on 8.1.

Back