• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking GA-880GM-D2H + Athlon II x2 235e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thats great information I think I can manage that. IF I could get the bios to allow me to do any of the settings that I am trying. Im just starting to think this bios is too picky to allow me to do much of anything. Ive overclocked some asus boards and a few msi boards but this is my first gigabyte and its just stupid.

What is it the bios won't let you do? It looks like you have already learned that to make changes in line items you need to put the section headers on Manual and you have already made several changes.

Oh sorry about that thanks for the help I haven't used forums very much.
wnl7.png

What is it the bios won't let you do? It looks like you have already learned that to make changes in line items you need to put the section headers on Manual and you have already made several changes.

Well its just that it looks like everything would be fine if I could just set the fsb to 250 bring the HT back one to 8 well like this
bz50.jpg

Well its just that it looks like everything would be fine if I could just set the fsb to 250 bring the HT back one to 8 well like this
bz50.jpg

Ya that would be awsome but it just doesn't work that way. You have to do little bits at a time and test. You have no idea at present if your chip can even run that high or what kind of voltage you would need to get it there.
Now on the positive side you still have headroom for voltage and temps so you may just make it that far.Just take your time :thup:

I run HT at or around 1600 on phenom/athlon ii so don't get hung up on getting it near dead on 2000 as it makes no difference, I would change yours ram timings to 8-8-8-22-30 as per jedec#4 just to make sure you're ram is not causing the problems as its getting tight where its at now

I would put your PCIe clock back to 100. That one doesn't like to be overclocked.

As Johan45 mentioned, overclocking needs to be done in small increments. You make a small change to frequencies and voltages and then stress test and monitor temps and voltages. I advise people to increase the FSB in 5 mhz increments and after each increment run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. During each test you should have HWMonitor open to check core and socket temps and CPU core voltage ("vcore" we call it). If you pass the stress test (no blue screen, lockup or core workers dropping our of Prime95) then increase the FSB by another 5 mhz and retest/monitor. Repeat that cycle until you cannot pass the Prime95 stress test. At that point, add a .025 increment of vcore and start retesting/monitoring. If at any point in time your core temps begin to exceed 55-60c or the socket temps begin to exceed about 65c then you are at the end of the overclock. Being patient and systematic in your approach is the safe and productive way to overclock.

WOW ! So I changed those ram settings and thats all it took it actually booted in on those settings. Now Im see'ing some temps. And its a hot one today too. Im just not sure where to find the socket temp at on HWMoniter rite now Im just using speedfan. Thanks again for the help everyone.

Getting there :thup:

The temp you want to focus on is the core temp on hwm, there's two of them (one for each core) and there under the athlon ii heading, don't let that get above 55c, if you keep going you will probably need to loosen you're timings on the ram once again to 9-9-9-25-34

Alright got it thanks for the ram timings. I think maybe it probably is too hot today for this. My Core temps are stayin in the 30's when Im playing games but socket temp is getting in the 60's.

With gigabyte motherboards the socket temp is usually TMPIN2 in HWMonitor. It's very important as it can reflect how hot the VRM area is getting. Looks like Speedfan is giving a more accurate picture of that temp than HWMonitor or the sensor in question is not TMPIN2.

Back