• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking GPU/CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exteez

Specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.0GHz
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1800+MHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z97 Extreme 6
Graphics
MSI GTX970

Okay, so I am planning to overclock my new CPU/GPU.

First question would be: how long should I wait before overclocking after buying the new specs from ebay.

Second: Can you guys give me a guide on how to overclock CPU/GPU. I do not mean "how to do it" but instead the voltage increase on CPU/GPU core clock/memory clock. I would be grateful if you guys provided me with those for my CPU and GPU. I did some research and I got some information, however all the different sources say that I need to do something different, and now I'm stuck!

e.g. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...70_gaming_4g_video_card_review/8#.VNAaqJ2sUQM

No need to wait...

Settings for each cpu and gpu will be different...that is why there are guides and not cookie cutter settings. You have to earn it. Read out guide on haswell On the front page.

Gpus Gpus are much easier. Raise one thing at a time... Start in 25mhz bumps amd.amd.test with unigine heaven... If it passes, bump it up again. Once.you see artifacts and or it freezes, back off or or add a bit of.voltage. rinse and repeat with memory

Specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.0GHz
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1800+MHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z97 Extreme 6
Graphics
MSI GTX970

Okay, so I am planning to overclock my new CPU/GPU.

First question would be: how long should I wait before overclocking after buying the new specs from ebay.

Second: Can you guys give me a guide on how to overclock CPU/GPU. I do not mean "how to do it" but instead the voltage increase on CPU/GPU core clock/memory clock. I would be grateful if you guys provided me with those for my CPU and GPU. I did some research and I got some information, however all the different sources say that I need to do something different, and now I'm stuck!

e.g. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...70_gaming_4g_video_card_review/8#.VNAaqJ2sUQM

You're asking for something impossible. No CPU reacts the same way when you take it outside of its stock settings. You're going to have to read up on how to do it and see what you can get done. Trying to copy cookie cutter settings is going to doom you to failure.

Also you should be running 2x4GB of RAM not 1x8GB and you should be on Win 8.1.

No need to wait...

Settings for each cpu and gpu will be different...that is why there are guides and not cookie cutter settings. You have to earn it. Read out guide on haswell On the front page.

Gpus Gpus are much easier. Raise one thing at a time... Start in 25mhz bumps amd.amd.test with unigine heaven... If it passes, bump it up again. Once.you see artifacts and or it freezes, back off or or add a bit of.voltage. rinse and repeat with memory

When I see artifacts? What are they?

And what freezes? The program I am running the test - unigine heaven?

Thanks that was actually useful bro!

@UP - I hate windows 8.1, what is wrong with 7? : O I love it. Yes I am running 2x4GB.

When I see artifacts? What are they?

And what freezes? The program I am running the test - unigine heaven?

Thanks that was actually useful bro!

@UP - I hate windows 8.1, what is wrong with 7? : O I love it. Yes I am running 2x4GB.

You have to pick either CPU overclocking or GPU overclocking for this thread. Otherwise its going to be confusing. You should ask your GPU overclock question in the GPU forums and your CPU overclock question in the Intel CPU forum.

Actually what I am going to do is wait until I get my new PC. If everything will run smooth etc, I will not overclock because what is the point? I am mostly interested in Arma 3, H1Z1 and upcoming GTA V for gaming. I also would like to stream, I think these specs can handle it easy without overclocking, shouldn't they?

Actually what I am going to do is wait until I get my new PC. If everything will run smooth etc, I will not overclock because what is the point? I am mostly interested in Arma 3, H1Z1 and upcoming GTA V for gaming. I also would like to stream, I think these specs can handle it easy without overclocking, shouldn't they?

Why overclock? E-peen. That's why. You can brag to people that your CPU is 500Mhz faster than theirs. CPU overclocking makes no difference in 99% of games. GPU overclocking makes a difference in every game, though. With any 3D game, an overclocked GPU will net you some extra frames per second.

Overclocking your CPU isn't necessary now, but it may be helpful if you still have the CPU in four years.

Right! I will try overclocking the GPU then since and leave the CPU alone for now. The GPU overclock also appears to be easier done so that's fine :)

Right! I will try overclocking the GPU then since and leave the CPU alone for now. The GPU overclock also appears to be easier done so that's fine :)

Both are easy. Just time consuming to refine. With the CPU you have it's just a matter of multiplier and voltage. Pretty much the same as the GPU but done through the bios. You may have to tweak some other stuff like LLC but you probably won't have to. You might as well do both. It won't do any harm if you do it responsibly.

Back