• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking = Having to reinstall wireless network drivers every reboot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azuza001

So you see the topic that I have. When I first put this machine together everything went smooth. Then recently I picked up a Z170X-UDA5 Gigabyte motherboard from the classifieds section (thanks again Zuzzz) which was originally used as a review model on this website! Here is the current system loadout

I5 6600K at 4.6Ghz (Core Voltage set to 1.36 in bios but showing 1.356 in CPUZ)
8 gigs DDR 4 ram at 2400 Mhz
240 Samsung M.2 SSD
Geforce GTX 1080 TI with power limit set to 90% in MSI Afterburner (stupid hot here and I find a 10% power drop = at most 1FPS in games but a drastic decrease in temp/noise)
Netgear A6100 USB Network Adapter
Windows 10 Pro with Windows 9.5 settings/changes per Linus-Tech-Tips

As my title states, now that I'm overclocking the system it seems stable enough, ran 4 hours of Prime95 and the hottest one of the cores hit was 79C, and no system crash. The system doesn't crash when playing games either. But every time I reboot the system the system wifi go's away and i need to reinstall the drivers to get the wifi to show back up down in the taskbar. I am using the default windows wifi manager.

Any ideas? Maybe I damaged windows somehow while overclocking (had a few reboot issues until I pumped up the voltage at 4.6 at first) and its whats causing the issue? Like I said nothing else seems wrong, everything else seems to be just fine. But it is a bit annoying having to reinstall every time before I can go online.

Oh, and setting my OC back to default doesn't fix the problem, it still requires a reinstall after every reboot.

If there is a better location for this tread let me know, but I didn't really see any. Thanks.

Doing a fresh clean install of windows would be my first resort as well. And I would not make the Linus tech tips changes for 9.5 until you make sure it's working properly in native Windows 10 mode. And I would also temporarily remove the overclock along with the fresh install of Windows until you are convinced the problem is fixed. When you make more than one change at a time it's difficult to troubleshoot.

I was afraid you were going to say that. In my heart I knew that would be the answer, but I didn't really want to do it lol.

Let me pass on a tip to you. When you build a new PC and get all the current windows updates installed and other standard ancillary software such as browsers, Adobe Reader, antivirus, etc. that you use it would be a great idea to create an image of the hard drive in Day 1 condition that will allow you to easily and quickly restore the system in case it gets broken. Macrium Reflect Free is a great tool for this. You can even configure Macrium to create a new image on a schedule. Ideally, these images would be stored on an external hard drive but you can also create a separate partition on the hard drive for this purpose. The only problem with the latter option is that if the hard drive dies you loose the images.

Yeah installing windows isn't a huge deal, I was just hoping it could be something else that keeps forcing me to reinstall drivers besides a basic nuke window's approach.

I doubt that you need a clean install. Are you upping your BClk? This could be an issue with the Wireless Device needing to "re-sync" its firmware to an unstable clock (from the device's perspective).

With the Intel gen you are using, the bclk is tied to the USB and PCIE. This could be the reason as to why your device may require a fresh driver install.

Nope, I am not messing with bclock at all. Only overclocking through multiplier. Not even overclocking the memory, running at its default settings.

You said that even reverting back to stock doesn't fix the problem, correct? I don't think it's your overclock directly causing your issues, but the process of overclocking does tend to put a lot of strain on Windows. Unfortunately, Windows is constantly writing to system files, so if you run into instability while it's in the process of writing, those files can easily be corrupted.

Like Trents said, I would start by reverting your overclock, and reinstalling Windows. Once you verify everything is working as normal, then reinstate your overclock and verify again. Then drop the overclock again and tweak Windows, verify and reinstate the overclock. If everything goes smoothly, you'll be set. If not, you'll hopefully know what's causing the problem.

Just a quick update incase this happens to anyone else, I found out that there was a windows update that wasn't completing either, it just wouldn't download properly to install. Following the fix windows update troubleshooter also fixed my network issue so it's all cool now.

Back