• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking help, Q9550, xfx 780i SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoster

Registered
Hi all,

New to the forums here. Not sure if this should be under CPU or motherboards (Admins please feel free to move this to the right area if this isn't it!)

So first things first I guess, the important system specs:
Win7 64-bit
CPU: Intel Q9550 - 2.8 stock, currently at ~3ghz
Memory: 8gb (4x2gb) Fatal1ty DDR2-1066
Mobo: XFX 780i SLI
Vid: eVGA 295 GTX
Power Supply: "80 plus" 750w. ~60 amps on 12v rail
Cooler Master 212+ cooler: Temps never over 58c, even under load

So first of all, I know that I already have a few things going against me. 1) the 780i memory controller isn't the board's strong point, especially with running 4 sticks and 2) The memory I have isn't all that great

Current setup info:
I've OC'd to 3ghz. Memory is running at 1022 (for some reason, ANYTHING over that will cause it to not POST - though that's irrelevant at this point). CPU voltage is 1.3v and memory voltage 2v. Everything else auto. All power-saving features disabled. The system has been rock stable at these figures for about 2 years. The FSB is set to 1440 (360).

Here's the thing, anything, and I mean ANYTHING over that FSB setting causes issues. It boots great, goes into windows, loads, but once you start moving the mouse around, it freezes. It acts this same way even up to 3.6ghz. Posts fine, loads windows fine, freezes at windows.

What I've tried:
I've tried upping the core voltage to 1.36 (slow steps at a time) - no dice
Tried upping memory voltage to 2.1v - no dice
Tried pushing the SPP and MCP voltages up a bit - no dice

It's funny that the changes don't affect squat - it always boots to windows and locks up while loading or seconds after.

I originally thought it was my memory, but the current setting I run it at (1022) is already above a 'synced' setting with the higher FSB, so it wouldn't make sense for that to be it.

PCIe is locked at 100mhz

There are a few settings I noticed "SPP -> MCP: 5x" and "SPP <- MCP: 5x" (or something like that) - not sure what that's about or if those should be decreased. Tried setting them to 4x, no dice.

At this point I'm just getting very, very frustrated. I KNOW I've got to be able to get more than 3ghz out of this thing.

So all you pro's out there, any ideas? If you need me to gather specific info about anything else, let me know! Thanks!

Back