• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my AMD FX-8120 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jazzman170

I am currently running 4 VMWare virtual machines, each of which is running windows 7 64bit, with 4gb ram and using 2 cores of my processor.

I noticed my cpu is always using 85% to 97% and sometimes hits 100%. Because its this high, its slowing down my virtual machines and i noticed by closing 1 virtual machines game (cause thats whats running is a browser game) it drops 20% to 25% cpu Load cause now that virtual machine is just idleing, which now my other 3 virtual machines arent lagging like before.

So my goal is to decrease cpu load while still being able to have my 4 virtual machines running. I would love to manage a 5th virtual machine if i can gain enough CPU power and not hit 95% + load.

So my main question is, is it safe for me to overclock with my settings and if yes, what is a safe number to overclock to without damaging or greatly reducing my CPU's life?

Stats based on 24 hour period, it ran through the night/day with prety much these exact same stats. Lowest i have seen CPU Usage go is 73%, but only for 1 second. Majority of time its at 90% to 97%.

stats1_zps0eb7259b.png
stats2_zps7ada847d.png
stats3_zps0727c205.png

Ya I shot of HWmonitor while the CPU is under load with Prime 95 for about 20 minutes will help us help you. It wouldn't hurt to put up shots of CPU-z main spd and memory tabs.

And welcome to the forum jazzman

Ya I shot of HWmonitor while the CPU is under load with Prime 95 for about 20 minutes will help us help you. It wouldn't hurt to put up shots of CPU-z main spd and memory tabs.

And welcome to the forum jazzman

Thanks, glad to be here ^_^

On a side note, i do have those images, my first attempt at adding them when i posted failed so i had to recreate them and add them again haha, but they are up there now.

Regarding Prime95, its just a CPU stress test program? My CPU has been running at 90% to 97% load for over 24 hours now, but if you guys would rather have prime95 results i would be happy to do so :)

Prime 95 is a good stability test for these cpu's and will produce quite a bit of heat. So we'll see.
What are you using for a cooler and was that shot of HWmonitor taken under load cause for 1.488v those look like idle temps.

Prime 95 is a good stability test for these cpu's and will produce quite a bit of heat. So we'll see.
What are you using for a cooler and was that shot of HWmonitor taken under load cause for 1.488v those look like idle temps.

All the shots were taken while all 4 virtual machines were running, was 97% cpu load at that time (jump from 87% to 97% and in those ranges).

I am at the moment doing a 20 minute test with prime95 (the test thats meant for overclockers). I'll show you the picture of HWMonitor when 20 minutes have passed.

As for cooling, i have liquid cooling - (this one) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1241962&csid=_61

You may want to give Rgones suggestion a read. If your cores were actually loaded to 97% it would be putting out more heat than that. But P95 will show a difference I'm sure

You may want to give Rgones suggestion a read. If your cores were actually loaded to 97% it would be putting out more heat than that. But P95 will show a difference I'm sure

i use vmware workstation and i dont have that version of the one that has all those updated ways of reducing CPU load. I did read that thread he showed tho.

Here is my updated HWMonitor

statss_zpsfd20cc91.png

Back