• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my C2D e6400 REVISION L2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bastupungen

Registered
Hey fellas!
I am overclocking my C2D e6400 with the L2 revision. And well I'm running into some strange things here. I can have the C2D running at 2.8 Ghz (7x multi 400mhz fbs) and it is totally stable at 1.4v. But the second I try to push it further, say 3 ghz (380 x 8) I have to push the Vcore to 1.515 to get the thing stable, CPUZ reports 1.4v. That does not seem right for me, especially not when I compare with other overclocks that run on say 1.3 at 3.2ghz.

Whats the big differance between the B2 revision and the L2 revision? And is it ok to push the Vcore that much? My temps are not good but ok (28/idle 55-58/load depending on room temp)

my gear:
e6400 revision L2
ASUS P5B-E plus
OCZ urban 800mhz 4-4-3-15 2.1v
good airflow in case cpu cooled with crappy Zalman 9500 (getting a new one if I have to)

B2 is the earlier revision where it overclocks better. btw, why dont you post your bios settings.

sure:
CPU frequency 380
DRAM 760
PCIE 100
PCI 33
Spread Spectrum off
Vdimm 1.5125
FSB Termination Voltage 1.4
NB Vcore 1.45
SB Vcore 1.6

turn off alot of the CPU options that I did not think I needed

B2 is the conroe core with 4mb they just cut our the 2mb or the bad cache, L2's are true 2mb cores. the L2's dont oc as well and some do require alot of voltage to hit 3ghz. my E4300 same core as your E6400 needed 1.475v for 3ghz. where my B2 E6400 can do 3ghz on stock voltage of 1.35v

So should I try to give it even more juice and try to hit higher clocks? just as long as I keep myself below 60C at load? What are the "optimal" temps for the C2D?

would a higher FSB termination Voltage help me or do I need better cooling on any parts of the motherboard to get me further? like the MOSFET's? This is the MB I have:
http://prohardver.hu/html/lap/965_shootout2/asus/mobo.jpg

I'm not so sure what the mosfets are. Can someone point out where the mosfets are on the pic or maybe show me some other pic of the mosfets?

I am going to put a small fan on the NB just to give it something more. The current cooling for the NB is not that good..

I have a rev. L2 E6400 that runs rock solid at 3.2ghz with stock voltage but these are uncommon judging from what I've seen on messageboards. It idles at 1.32 and droops to 1.30 under load. Just got lucky I guess. Seems like your chip is on the other, less desirable end of the spectrum.

Pomegranate said:
I have a rev. L2 E6400 that runs rock solid at 3.2ghz with stock voltage but these are uncommon judging from what I've seen on messageboards. It idles at 1.32 and droops to 1.30 under load. Just got lucky I guess. Seems like your chip is on the other, less desirable end of the spectrum.

yep you did.Mine did 8x400 and only needed a small vcore bump to 1.375v.But anything after that needed mega voltages

Back