• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my Geil Ultra-X (UTT-BH), results seem low

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electrorcamd

I bought a 512MB stick of Geil Ultra-X a couple of months ago, so it should use the UTT-BH chips. I'm having trouble getting good results out of it, but I am not sure if it is the RAM or the memory controller.
I was running it at 2.7V @ 195 2-2-2-5 1T no problems. I could get it a little over 210 with up to 2.9V, but that was it.
Today I got an OCZ DDR Booster so that I could go above my motherboard's 2.9V (Chaintech VNF3-250) vdimm max. I originally put the Booster in DIMM 1, with my RAM in slot 3. I was able to boot up to about 238 MHz 2-2-2-5 with around 3.6V, any less and it would freeze in the BIOS.

I then switched them so the Booster was in slot 3 and the RAM was in slot 1. This gave me about the same results. I decided to do some testing with Memtest. I noticed that anytime I was running ~225+ at 1T it would not pass even the first test in Memtest. I switched it to 2T, and it was fine. Using 2T, I was able to boot up to ~250 2-2-2-5, with around 3.4-3.5V. I had trouble much above that.

It froze while I was running Memtest at 250 2-2-2-5 2T, so I bumped up the voltage a small amount, and now it seems fine.

Shouldn't this RAM be capable of running quite a bit faster? I have messed around with it more than I said in this post, but I am trying to keep it somewhat short.
I don't have a lot of BIOS options to tweak; I have the basic timings, skew adjust, drive strength (2x or Normal), and a couple other things.
Can anybody recommend some settings that I can try? Or any other ideas?
Thanks

BTW, I have a 120mm, ~96CFM fan blowing directly on the RAM.

These are what I have for settings in my BIOS:
ramsettings18.jpg

ramsettings28.jpg

250 2-2-2-5 2T was unstable. I am now running at 345x8, 133 divider so the RAM is around 225. I switched to 1T and Memtest failed test 1. So I am at 2T still.

Any suggestions? I will be trying some of the settings from the thread 'Problems overclocking my BH5' soon.

Edit: I messed around with the settings; it didn't make a difference.

Last edited:
Geil Ultra X UTT version does not performs so good as Geil One W (UTT).
I had a pair of same memory which doesn't hit even 246-247 Mhz 2-2-2-5 in DFI LP NF4 Ultra.The best memory available now is Geil Ultra PC4000 and is only around 150 USD per gig

ianocean said:
Geil Ultra X UTT version does not performs so good as Geil One W (UTT).
I had a pair of same memory which doesn't hit even 246-247 Mhz 2-2-2-5 in DFI LP NF4 Ultra.The best memory available now is Geil Ultra PC4000 and is only around 150 USD per gig
I guess I was just hoping for better results after seeing reviews that had them at 250+, and because my last RAM was running in the 220s 1T no problem. I did get this RAM for about $45, so I guess I should not complain too much.
Hopefully it will improve over time.

My DDR Booster seems to be causing instability. I was running my RAM at around 200 2-2-2-5 with the Booster set to about 2.8V. My computer kept freezing and I would have other errors.
I took the Booster out, set the DIMM voltage to 2.7V and now everything seems stable.
Any ideas why it might be doing this?

Back