• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking newbie requests help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cnzdragen

Overclocking newbie requests help. q9450 & GA-EX38-DQ6

Hey all, i recently built a new rig with the following parts. Q9450, GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DQ6, MSI GeForce 8800GT (G92) OC 512MB, Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, 4GB 2x2GB CM2X2048-6400C4DHX, Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS, Hitachi 1TB.

i have been reading all the overclock guides but still am not sure which settings to change in the bios for overclocking the cpu and ram. if anyone could offer some advice and pointers, i'd really appreciate it. thankss

Last edited:
Go here

If you check out the guide to overclocking the C2D and Quad thread, you will have a good idea as to what to do... I followed the guide, and as long as I've been here I still learned a thing or two from it...it's a well thought out guide especialy for newbies..OH and welcome to the forums :welcome:

ok thanks a bunch, im going to look at that guide, im still worried about changing the wrong settings in the bios though. if anyone has the same mobo and cpu and has already oc'ed, some advice would be great.

Well, the one thing about Gigabyte boards, is if you mess up, the board will reboot and go back to stock settings, so you can fix what you did wrong.

The most common mistake most people make, is to change too many settings at once b4 knowing what they do, which is why I pointed you to the guide..just make sure to make small adjustments at a time,monitor temps and stability, and it will help you later if you keep a log of everything attempted, and what worked and what didn't.

The log will help greatly when your friends see your screamer and will want you to build one for them :)

"CPU-Z" is a good program for monitoring what speed your cpu and mem is running at.
"Coretemp" is a good program for monitoring your temps.
Sorry for being so short in the earlier post, but I was time constrained. Anyway, looks like a good start as far as parts goes.
Good luck,
Doc

thanks, i really appreciate it. i'll make an attempt to start overclocking after i soak in all the information for a bit longer and make sure i keep a log like you said.

All good points, also download Orthos for stability testing, or something simmilar. Start off by figuring out which auto settings you can set manualy, you can use coretemp to find your CPU VID then find your stock stable voltage manualy, usualy a good first step.

Back