• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Phenom II x4 955 and G.Skill 1600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadHatter68

Maybe you more experienced guy's ( or gals ) can help an old timer out.

I'm trying to tweak my setup for Flight Simulator X. Here's my system:

Board - Asus M4N75TD with AMI BIOS
Ram - 2x4 GB G.Skill RipjawsX 1600
CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHZ ( not BE ) Water cooled.
Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Drive - WD Velociraptor 300GB

Id like to overclock both ram and cpu but best i can do is overclock my CPU to 3.8 at 1.5 volts using the multiplier before BSOD. Everything else on auto.

I've read my butt off trying to grasp the whole concept of NB speed and voltage, HT speed, blah blah blah but I guess it's just not sinking in.

Any advise for a hard head like me?

Thanks

P.S I hate my motherboard BIOS seems nobody else uses it.

they are manu2b.
fsx is not for this rig in any way.
I run fsx on an 8 core @5.4 with 2 760's and it's just about good, it's the game and not the rig.
look for another sim.

have you got it stable at 3.8

Yes its stable at that speed if only using the multiplier. But wont go any higher. I haven't been able to find any other combination that wont blue screen after a couple minutes or simply not boot.

they are manu2b.
fsx is not for this rig in any way.
I run fsx on an 8 core @5.4 with 2 760's and it's just about good, it's the game and not the rig.
look for another sim.

Yeah I kind of figured that was the deal. Guess Ill just pony up the $$$ and build another system. Any recommendations on a good MOBO for I7?

madhatter, it would be helpful to us if you would attach pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD at your current overclock level. That will give us lots of info about your settings and secondary frequencies or voltages may be causing the instability. Or, it could be your are at the wall on that chip. Many 955s will do 4.0 but not all. And many of them will not be stable with the RAM at 1600 mhz. What's more, you mentioned nothing about temps. High core or CPU socket temps can cause instability. Don't give up yet. Have you done any temp monitoring while stress testing with Prime95 blend?

And folks, it's not true that all PII X4 955s were unlocked. We established that fact on the forum along time ago. There were some C2 stepping OEM chips in that family that were not multiplier unlocked.

over to the intel section if your going to keep the game.
it's pretty much unsupported by ms and you will get no help from them with it.

Back