• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking setup input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tornadomaniac

Ok so im finally getting a setup purely for overclocking
What do yal think about the 4790k with Gigabyte z97x SOC good combo or would yal venture to recommend another board?
Also plan on delidding the 4790k anyone have thoughts against it

If you are going into subambient (DI/LN2) overclocking, the SOC/SOC Force are great boards. If you are just sticking with ambient (Air/Water), then really any board will do...

As far as delidding, that is up to you. If you are pushing the chip to the limits on ambient cooling, then its likely worth it to delid (unless you have a bad chip and are voltage limited anyway). For most, its not worth it as it voids the warranty and there isn't a point for them.

Intel? LHe? Save your money man... That is for AMD for the most part since there isn't a CB/CBB.

Well I can get my hands on lhe for cheap or free, in theory couldn't I stay at my stable CB cbb with less than using ln2 if I have a way to control the how much is added
If it's just not possible I'll stick with ln2 which I can get all day long
And I think it would just be cool as sh** to use lhe
Isn't cb around -150c or board dependant ?

Depends on the CPU, but for 4790K, -110C to -130C or so...LHe would be useless since you couldn't get to even LN2 temps. But if its what you have avaialble, and cheap, you do! Just keep a torch handy! :)

You know I don't see it to much but is there any cb on the 980 ti's ? tho im not sure how much more I would get out of them going extreme vs moving my whole water setup to just my gpu

There's a CB on the 980 so I imagine the Ti isn't much different. Just slow down though maniac ha ha. Going extreme is great but learn your trade first.

Not that I claim to be an expert on motherboards but I do own a Z97x Soc-force and I have to say that I have thus far not had a bad experience with it. Based on the reviews I have read you would probably be happier with the Soc Force over the regular Soc if you plan to do extreme cooling. Just my 2 cents

Thanks all for the input greatly appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

I just don't want to get something and 4 months down the road with some more experience under my belt have to drop more money on something that can keep up

I just don't want to get something and 4 months down the road with some more experience under my belt have to drop more money on something that can keep up

That's the idea, if you're going to be serious about it and expect to use sub-zero then purchase accordingly

If Sub Ambient is what you're planning instead of the Gigabyte board I would get the ASRock Z97 OC Formula LGA as it already has a Conformal Coating on it. Which will make life a lot easier when prepping for cold and it's a damn good board.

I saw that board I guess I shy away from asrock because of several doa and problem boards I've had in the past.

I saw that board I guess I shy away from asrock because of several doa and problem boards I've had in the past.
They are making good boards especially the OCF variants. The conformal coating on it can be a life saver as well when going cold. I was witness to one of our members doing a tri X fire run on a particularly humid day. Cooling with LN2 and water was pouring off the board as he was benching and it kept chugging along.

They are making good boards especially the OCF variants. The conformal coating on it can be a life saver as well when going cold. I was witness to one of our members doing a tri X fire run on a particularly humid day. Cooling with LN2 and water was pouring off the board as he was benching and it kept chugging along.
+1 again... this isn't your normal ASRock board, and not sure when you last had one or what it was. :)

One of the best overclocking boards around T! :)

Not a bad price on that board either. after long though I have decided to move to the X99 chipset with the only reason being the extra PCI-e lanes. and with the 20 dollar difference in chips and no difference in MB cost why not?

Back