• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the AMD FX 8150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celes.Sinclair

Hey there. Got a pretty nice PC from a friend and relatively new to the overclocking world, but I have been reading guides trying to absorb more information. I could really use some help.

Here is my setup:
Case: lian li pc-x2000f
MOBO: gigabyte 990fxa-ud7
CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.6 GHz
CPU Cooler: corsair h100
RAM: corsair dominators 4x4gb
GPU: geforce 680 4gb
PSU: corsair 850 watt

So far what I've experienced is turning off all automated functions and leaving voltages on auto that the highest I can boot into and run prime95 without autocrashing is at 3800.

I followed the "everything you need to know to oc an fx processor" guide and all of my oc's continually crash once prime95 begins. I have tried messing with the fsb, and hypertransit, and the multiplier core. The highest voltage I have tried is 1.450 but would like to get a stable oc that I can run 24/7 without much heat. Hoping I didn't just get a bad chip, any tips, or advice would be appreciated. Also, it seems what is bottle necking my system is the ram, is this correct? Should I consider upgrading to a higher MHz? Thanks!

1. Yours will be the very first 990FX-UD7 that a user has brought into this forum section. So they either don't overclock well. They overclock darn easy or they were too expensive for some of these cheapos.

2. Run the rig at stock with Prime 95 in Blend mode and HWMonitor (Free) from CpuID com open and running during the P95 Blend run of about 20 mins or until it has an error. Then capture the HWMonitor that has logged Min/Max Volts and Temps including the Package temp a little further down in HWMonitor. Also Singely capture CPUz > Cpu Tab. CPUz > Memory Tab. CPUz > SPD tab, so that we can see what is going on inside the system from miles and miles away. In advanced mode you can use the little paperclip thingy to upload your captures
RGone...

I saved a text file of my HWmonitor and CPUz, and then began the prime95 test. I will save the text files again at 20 minutes or so. Is that sufficient? Will post back in 20 or so. Thanks for your help btw.

Here are the .txt reports from each program right before i stopped testing in prime95. I hope these help. Please let me know if you would like something different or additional!

Attachments

• cpuz.txt
    119.4 KB · Views: 55
  • prime95 hwmonitor.txt
    50.1 KB · Views: 163
  • stats.png
    stats.png
    66 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
So far what I've experienced is turning off all automated functions and leaving voltages on auto that the highest I can boot into and run prime95 without autocrashing is at 3800.

Gonna have to do this manually. @ 3.8ghz obviously you need to add some voltage.

A screen shot of load temps would be great.

Any modifications to the cooler? Added fans higher cfm ect?

Turn off all the power saving features like cool and quiet and C1E support ect.

Nice board. I've clocked one of these, it came to me with a pretty messed up socket, but I did get it running. And did eventually kill it too.

Every bell and whistle under the sun, start with the basics for now, you can turn the turbo core feature off as well.

Oh, I am sorry I messed up when cropping that pic. Here is the updated with the CPU/Memory/SPD tab and hw monitor from beginning load to 20 mins of prime95 testing.

Attachments

• stats.png
    stats.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 173
OK that is load temps, wasn't sure had to ask.

You need to turn off the power saving features first. Notice the super low voltage there at idle, that's going to be too low for 3.8ghz and beyond.

Set the CPU voltage to manual and start around 1.35v-1.4v and clock the multiplier to 19. Then push a little at a time, .5 multi 3.9ghz ect.

Currently all of the power saving features are disabled, and this is hwmonitor and cpuz while prime95 is running at about 25 minutes on stock 3.6 settings like RGone had asked for.

What I notice is trying to OC anything passed 4.0 ghz instantly has core crashes in prime95, even at 1.45 voltage and 4.2-4.6 ghz. I have also tried tinkering with these settings and changing the voltages listed in the "everything you need to know guide" and messing with the fsb and ht. --- While I notice I can sometimes make it into windows, i crash immediately upon starting a stress test.

Celes.Sinclair, hard to tell how you're going about overclocking it, but what I find works best is to change one parameter at a time and then test. I would start by doing what Shrimpbrime suggested. Set the Cpu V to 1.35-1.4 and then up the multiplier .5. Run prime blend 20 minutes if it passes then up the multi again. If it fails add more Cpu V core, do this keeping the cpu temp below 70 and the package temp below 62. At some point you'll want to run Prime Blend for 2 hours to establish stability. I would do it around 4.0 if you get that far. This will give you a point to fall back on if you try to push further.

One thing I notice is the 16Gig of ram I would suggest setting the Dram voltage to 1.6v and the CPU_NB to 1.25. Also if you have LLC for the CPU and CPU_NB set them to high.

Back