• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrSunshine

Hi-

After reading up on the new fx cpu's I found out a few things....

Overclocking FX CPUs it's pretty much the multiplier and the CPU voltage. They don't like the CPUNB frequency messed with much. Good cooling and a heavy duty power phase mobo are the keys to high overclocks with the FX CPUs. Most people are going with water, at least for the 8 core FXs.I opted for a 6 core @ 95 watts.I'm using the fx6300,Hyper 212 Evo,,ssd,750w psu,& a full tower with 7 fans.As far as a motherboard,it's a Gigabyte 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0.This is a budget board,but it has a 8+2 power phase.I plan to overclock the 6300 to 4.2g.This should give me decent frame rates while gaming,as this is my only concern.

I will need to make some bios adjustments.....*Does this cover everything that should be disabled in the bios.

Disable AMD Turbo Core
Disable APM (Application Power Management)
Disable Cool 'n' Quiet
Disable "C1E"
Disable CPU fan Control

Last edited:
Pretty much like the old add used to say "Toyota, You Got It".

Win 7 go into power management and set Performance mode so Winders does not throttle the speed.

Thanks.I am switching from XP to Win764bit.I figured 10 years of xp is enough lol.....I wont know how to act using all my ram vs 3.25g that is limited by XP.Should that cover the all settings I need to adjust in windows 7 ?

I have an amd 965 in this board now oc @ 3.8 w/1.35v on cpu v-core.It idies @ 24C load 45C.These are winter temps,but good cooling,set up in basement,and case make a difference.I bought another board for the 6300.This will be for gaming only.Offline,No firewall,Anti-virus,or any other bloated programs :)

Last edited:
Win 7, all I mentioned is all I change as regards overclock.

Don't know but have you flashed the latest bios before inserting the FX Processor? You probably should so you do not have any boot issues with FX processor.

I have to disagree with your first post.
Overclocking FX CPUs it's pretty much the multiplier and the CPU voltage. They don't like the CPUNB frequency messed with much.
I recently bought an FX6300 and just got into OC'ing while I did find it alot easier to just up the multiplier and pump more vcore to it you can still get great results from a balance of both multiplier and fsb these are my current 24/7 settings passed a 2 hr OCCT stress test and 8 hours of P95 while still keeping temps in check.

Attachments

• 4.6blend mem.PNG
    4.6blend mem.PNG
    41.9 KB · Views: 43,072
  • 4.6blend.PNG
    4.6blend.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 47,199
BRSunshine, with my 8350 I have found that using a combo of Multiplier and FSB has given me the best results as far as performance goes. You comment about NB Frequency is somewhat true, at least with my processor. I have found it difficult to get it stable with the NB Frequency above 2500. Though, that is when I'm trying to do big clocks 4.9+. I really haven't tested it above 2400 at lower clocks.

BRSunshine, with my 8350 I have found that using a combo of Multiplier and FSB has given me the best results as far as performance goes. You comment about NB Frequency is somewhat true, at least with my processor. I have found it difficult to get it stable with the NB Frequency above 2500. Though, that is when I'm trying to do big clocks 4.9+. I really haven't tested it above 2400 at lower clocks.

100% this.

The NB on every PD part I've owned will go up to 2475-2490 on a reasonable voltage (1.275 for most and 1.2815 on my 8320) without any issue. You can go into the lower 2500s with another voltage bump, but stability becomes a concern very quickly. I've been able to push my shop 6300 up to the lower 2600s and maintain stability, but it required some slightly scary numbers.

Using the FSB and multiplier tends to allow you a slightly more forgiving headroom when it comes to temps, voltage requirements, etc.. It also gives a noticable performance improvement over using only the multiplier.

I like the 225-229 and 236-239 FSB frequency points the most, but I've had to do zany numbers to find just the right balance between everything, all the way up to 256, also on the 8320.

I've always been a fan of using the blk / fsb in conjunction with multiplier to acheive overclocking.. Unlocked multipliers discourage this, but the results for a seasoned OCer and a well-guided novice almost always reflect this is the superior way to OC :attn:

Just built my system 2 weeks ago, now its broke in and I wanna slightly overclock. Still stock cooler. fx 6300 with gig970ud3 just like above,corsair 8g ddr3 1600.Hd4650 1gig. The board came with easytune and theres also amd overdrive. Should I use one of them or do you change the properties in the bios itself? I'm only looking to go to 4 or 4.2 if possibe, I have a very large case with good cooling. thanks for the help. Also what about overclocking the graphics card, I run iracing and my boy plays FPS games

Mr St Louis welcome to the forums, you may want to repost this as a new thread. Anyhow what you should do 1st is download Prime95, Hwmonitor "non pro" and Cpu-z. Then open Hwmonior and run prime 95 blend torture test for 20 minutes. This will give us a baseline of where your temperatures are at at stock. Then post a screen shot of the Hwmonitor showing what it did under the prime stress test. Also post screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-z, cpu, spd and memory. You should also put your system specs into your signature so we know what components you have, see mine in this post. In order to post screen shots use the inforum attachment tool and windows snipping tool works well. You need to "go advanced" when posting a reply and click on the paper clip to attach the pics.

lets try this, heres what i got
stress1.PNG

stresscpuzcpu.PNG

stressmem.PNG

stressspd.PNG

hope this helps. Again, not trying to set records just around 4.0 and easiest way to do it...

It looks like you still have CnQ enabled and you're cooling is at around its limit at the current vcore you are running, as you can see but the HW monitor screen your max CPU temp is 56c which we consider to be around the sweet spot for a overclocked CPU, any higher and it tends to start to causing some kinds of instability. I can't tell from the CPUz screen what freq you are running as CnQ is dropping the multi on the cpu, but if you are at your 4ghz aim I would say you're good to go and enjoy it :thup:

Was that at stock speeds? You should have a read of this it will give you a general idea of what we are speaking about when we say to do certain things. As Keny said you still have Cool and Quiet turned on which is downclocking your cpu when not under load. When overclocked this can sometimes cause instability. Also as Keny said your package temps is at 56c, we suggest most users to stay under 60, so you are right there. You may be able to push a little higher, without raising the Cpu V core and or the temps. I wanted to point a little reality out to you also, I looked at your board. These new Fx processors require a lot of power when overclocked. Your board only has a 4+1 power phase VRM section and does not have a heatsink on that area. When overclocked the VRM section is providing more power then normal to the processor which in turn creates a lot of heat in this area. If this heat is not removed it can cause instability and/or complete failure of the board. I'm posting a pic with that area highlighted, for you to see. However you said that you were only looking for a mild overclock so this issue may not be a problem, I just thought I would point it out to you before you started tinkering with the setup.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    144.1 KB · Views: 42,151
Thank you very much for the replies, yes thats at stock so ill order a hyper 212 first and my case has a spot for a side fan so I'll add one of those first also to cool the other pieces. I got the cool and quiet turned off now. sorry about that. I've been reading all the guides still a little confusing. The one question is do you change the settings in the bios itself (hitting del on keyboard at startup).or use the amd vision engine control center program thats on the computer that has an overdrive tab on it? Also just looked and my board does have a heatsink on that portion. ver3 board if that makes a difference..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056G10WK/ref=ox_ya_os_product

thank you very much for the replies

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the replies, yes thats at stock so ill order a hyper 212 first and my case has a spot for a side fan so I'll add one of those first also to cool the other pieces. I got the cool and quiet turned off now. sorry about that. I've been reading all the guides still a little confusing. The one question is do you change the settings in the bios itself (hitting del on keyboard at startup).or use the amd vision engine control center program thats on the computer that has an overdrive tab on it?

Bios. Software overclocking is rubbish, and always results in problems :p Doing it through the BIOS will ensure you get more for less in terms of temps and voltage. You can also expect more stability coming out of a BIOS OC.

Also just looked and my board does have a heatsink on that portion. ver3 board if that makes a difference..
That is good, though it's still not one of the better boards to be OC'ing on. With that said well see how it does once you install the 212.

I hope the CM Hyper 212+ fits into your case. It will be marginal and we have had divergent reports about the fit for that combo.

So I installed a rocketfish cooler and now my prime 95 test hit 40 once and ran at 38 for 30 min so I'm good to go there. My problem is I cant get to change any values in my bios. I'v disabled the cnq and the unlock cpu is enabled but the I cannot click on any values. I removed the easytune6 and dont know if that did anything. I just reinstalled it and was able to change values in it but when i hit set the computer froze and had to do a hard reset. All the voltages and settings say automatic and i cannot click on them. the mem settings are the only ones I can change. any suggestions?

Back