• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Remove the software again. In the UEFI bios You'll have to use enter button and the + and - keys. You have to set the auto options to manual first.

Figured it out. I had to hold fn key to change values. the rest i hit enter and it brought up another window to change them. I upped multiplier to 20.5 which set it at 4118.79 mhz so basically locked in turbo with voltages and other settings still automatic. Is this good bad or indifferent when slightly overclocking. heres the cpu-z values it shows

core speed 4118.xx
multiplier 20.5
bus speed 200.9x
ht link 2411.xx

Ran prime 95 and temps were great. only thing is with coretemp running and showing the freq under load, at first 0-4 were at full load and 5 was zero to 13 percent. After 10 min 4 and 5 were both at zero to thirteen. is this because i still have core number automatic or is something else going on?

With prime running cores shouldn't be idle like that! I have a feeling it's your board throttling the power draw cause the VRM can't handle it. Back your multi down so you're at 3.8 ish and see if it stilll behaves the same.

That was it. at 4.1 voltages were not moving, at 3.8 they still fluctuate a little so i guess I'll leave it there. dont want to hurt the mobo.. thank you

I had to hold fn key to change values. = sounds like you do not have the numbers lock turned on and then using the numbers keys on the right of most desktop keyboards.
RGone...

You may be able to bump it up a bit but I think you're very nrar the limit for that board.

0-4 were at full load and 5 was zero to 13 percent = that certainly sounds like too much current draw throttling. TurboCore should be dealing with 3 cores at a time. Cool N Quiet deals with all cores. So that leaves only something like power thru the VRM to be adjusting something away or down from full load.
RGone...

Got it. had it running at 3.8. put it into hibernation when I left today and when I came back had to unplug it to get it to turn on and then it said bios corrupted. booted from backup bios. will it reset the other bios or do I have to do something to repair it. if the mobo wont handle it ill leave it stock but want to make sure everything is back to good...

it said bios corrupted. booted from backup bios. will it reset the other bios or do I have to do something to repair it. = Your manual should speak clearly about what to do.
RGone...

The manual says it will boot from backup and repair the other. From the facory the mem timing set mem to 1333 when I have 1600. I changed the multiplier and it went to 1600 and has been fine. Now if i change that it wont boot and says corrupted. Could I have burnt the mem somehow. whats a good program to test that maybe?

Check your ram Voltage for settings 1600, and confirm they are correct. You may have to look them up on the web. I think CPUID can tell you what they should be.

gigabyte ga-970a-ud3p mobo
amd fx6300
16bg hyper x fury ddr3 ram
arctic a30 cooler
gt610 gpu
win10

got a stable OC just by upping the multiplier to x21.0 . have left voltages alone but disabled APM, cool 'n' quiet, c1e and cpu fan control

By stable, what do you mean? Will it pass two hours or more of the Prime95 blend test?

not tried prime95 blend test yet - but not crashing, so looks promising

Then it's definitely not stable. Run the Prime 95 blend test for atleast 2 hrs. I'd say keep a direct eye on it for about the first 10-20 mins then just check up on it periodically.

Without a proper stability test you can have evil things, such as HDD corruption due to memory instability...

Back