• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking vs number of cores...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richard8971

Registered
I've been overclocking for decades, I mean it, really I have...

I remember when I bought my P3 933Mhz and overclocked it to 1Ghz using the jumper pins on the motherboard...

My latest adventure has been my AMD 6350 and I have been doing some testing with cores vs speed.

Most of us know that if you disable cores you can lower your heat (and power) and reach a higher speed. But is speed all there is?

My particular chip seems to love 4.7Ghz @ 6 cores.

I have run it with 2 cores and 4 cores at different speeds with interesting results.

I have gotten it to 5Ghz with 4 cores but it runs SLOWER than 4.7Ghz with all 6 cores running.

Just food for thought.

D

I've been overclocking for decades, I mean it, really I have...

I remember when I bought my P3 933Mhz and overclocked it to 1Ghz using the jumper pins on the motherboard...

My latest adventure has been my AMD 6350 and I have been doing some testing with cores vs speed.

Most of us know that if you disable cores you can lower your heat (and power) and reach a higher speed. But is speed all there is?

My particular chip seems to love 4.7Ghz @ 6 cores.

I have run it with 2 cores and 4 cores at different speeds with interesting results.

I have gotten it to 5Ghz with 4 cores but it runs SLOWER than 4.7Ghz with all 6 cores running.

Just food for thought.

D

Depends on what you are doing with it. Not all applications can utilize all those cores. Some can't even efficiently use four cores. In that case, fewer cores running at a higher clock speed would be "faster."

But what kind of stress testing have you done to confirm these overclock speeds?

When you say it runs slower at 5ghz by 4cores vs 4.7ghz by 6cores. What are you using to measure the performance. If you are using a multithreaded application the slightly slower 6 cores will win out but if you are running a single threaded application the 5 ghz setup will win. It is not like you are comparing a 6core 3.5ghz chip against a 4 core 5ghz where the 4 cor can make up for its lack of cores with speed. A 0.3ghz difference will not compensate for 2 less cores.

I guess my testing is biased towards what I do with my computer.

I do a lot of photo editing and photoshopping where I've timed how long it takes my computer to accomplish the same task depending on the speed and cores used.

I was simply trying to suggest that raw speed is not always the answer. I am running an AMD 6350 that is a 6 core CPU. I can disable or enable cores that I choose. I just have found that for most of my particular applications, running all 6 cores has a more noticeable impact over CPU speed.

Sorry for any confusion.

D

Back