• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Street Logistic

Hey guys, I have a AMD Sempron 140 Processer, 4GB ram, 1TB HDD and a added 80GB, the motherboard is a ASrock N68C-S UCC, I was just asking how much can I overclock that by and how can I unlock the other core (I know you can unlock the other core on some of them) I'm at the moment overclocking it, I got the things on 210 and 100, they was on 200 and 100 before, so I dunno how much to do it by, I got 2 LED case fans working and the Stock CPU cooling on it, I'm trying not to wreck my computer that's why I thought I'll ask the "Experts" Take care, Street Logistic!

Sounds like your on the right track. As to unlocking the other core...there might be a setting in the BIOS stating something to the effect of Core Unlocker. Check your manual for this. Once that is enabled most will have a quick prompt on re-boot asking you to press a button to "un lock" the cores. This may or may not work, luck of the draw as far as CPUs go.

How far will you be able to overclock it...depends on a lot. Temps being critical. Since you have overclocked a little (210 on base clock) I would recommend you run a stress test, Prime 95 for example, and see what your maximum load temps are. That will give us a good idea of how far we can go without borking anything.

1st off, :welcome: to the OC Forums
Yea, Unlocking the core will depend on IF your board has the capability...(not all do though).
Like Xoke says, the temps are your biggest hurdle, and most successful overclocks are when the user (you or me) gets the CPU down below it's normal operating temperature, and then start raising the frequency little at a time. There should be a sticky on overclocking AMD chips, but I haven't noticed, or cared 'till now (I got a free AMD rig recently).
You have to have better than average memory for a good overclock, unless you keep the memory locked at it's default speeds/timings.
There are a lot of variables to overclocking, and while there is a lot of science involved, it is still more of an art.
The AMD cpu stickies are here
Hope this helps,
Doc

Like the others have said, an overclock will only be good if your system can handle the heat. Since you mentioned two case fans and a stock cpu cooler, I wouldn't push your system to much. My personal computer has 8 case fans and an upgraded cpu cooler with one of the fans being a very loud fan that pushes a TON of air into my case that I control using a fan controller. No need to have a loud fan when the computer is just idling... before you get two crazy with the overclock I would recommend you upgrade the stock CPU cooler if not anything else. A free thing you can do to help keep temperatures down is to clean up the wires, re-route them to where they dont block any airflow to your CPU. You wont see that much of an improvement but it doesn't hurt and it makes the inside of your case look a little cleaner. Take a look at this thread to get a couple ideas of what you can do. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445933&highlight=wire+managed+pics

Semprons LOVE being OCed you are going to be board limited almost guaranteed though.

The unlocking (which your board supports) might have a different implementation of it then most AMD users are used to as it is an nVidia chipset. Check your manual or watch the video.

From the ASrock website.

Back